To all future Dell customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

seancky2

Limp Gawd
Just some words of advise from my past month or so experiences from a first time Dell customer. Customer service SUCKS!! Here is the story in a nutshell:

I ordered my Inspiron 1520 about a month ago and it had a estimated shipping date of 9/4. On 9/3 I got a phone from dell saying my laptop has been delayed and can't ship until 10/4. My jaw dropped, I cannot believe this had happened to me. I was so excited to receive it in just a few more days after a full month of waiting. After that I called Dell and immediately asked to talk to a manager. The first time i called i was basically hung up on and had to recall. The second time I got in touch with a manager. And for future reference, when calling Dell...ALWAYS, and i mean ALWAYS lie. That is the only way to get the service you deserve. As soon as you reach a manager inform them that you have been treated poorly by previous people on the phone. You will now have the managers full attention.

Once you have the managers full attention, tell them how outraged you are that your shipment has been delayed a full month. Tell them your situation, in my case, i am a college student and was expecting to have this in time for my programming class. Let them know you are furious with how your laptop has been delayed for so long and that they should have a warning that these delays will occur in plain sight before you even order. Also insist on a compensation. After about 2 minutes the manager will do anything to make you happy. Out of this phone call she gave me a $50 coupon, upgraded me to overnight shipping once my system was made, and left a note to production company that i was high priority. What did this get me...?

One week later (today) I got an email saying my laptop has been shipped and it should be here tomorrow. I really think Dell is shafty, they said supplies were on back order and wouldn't be available for a month. I really think that is all BS and they have a system of priority on who to build the system first. They use BS delays to accommodate this.

If you find yourself in a situation similar to mine (which i'm sure plenty of you will), give this approach a shot.

Things like this happen all the time. Not only to Dell, but just because they have a bigger market share, their name always gets bashed. I wouldn't doubt there are just as many cases with smaller manufacturers like Asus or Toshiba, it happens, calm down.

And as for Comcast, I totally agree. Where are you Verizon!?

Dell's always been good to me, Maybe im lucky...

Their Customer Service is awesome as well.. Maybe it was just a wrong time to order since most students are ordering lappys this month? :confused:

To OP:
Get over yourself. You think Dell cares what you think so much?
Your laptop was probably delayed due to an insane amount of LCD shortage. Even the company I work for, considered a "large" company to Dell can't get stuff on time due to the shortage. It's getting better now, but there was a time when we had to wait 3+ weeks to get 19" LCDs. And, even still, there's companies who were able to push ahead of us and get theirs.
Sure, a manager may be able to push your one laptop ahead a little bit and get it to you sooner. That's because they have priorities - get the companies who have muli-million (if not billion) dollar contracts with them served, then worry about the guy who spent $1200 on a laptop later. Make sense, no?
Also, maybe be glad that they gave you a call? There's a lot of companies that won't even do that - they expect you to check on your order and find out on your own.
You, complaining, as an individual will _never_ result in anything measureable to them. You're taking a piss in the ocean and hoping to measure for a difference in depth.
Sorry, no dice.

lets start

the $50 off is nothing special.
you're noone special. do you know how many people(including college students) i've had call in complaining about delays in their notebook orders? a shit ton. my wifes notebook is delayed, big deal. if you are ordering a notebook, it WILL be delayed right now.

putting you on a priority list? no, they put a note in your case log about you wanting it asap. nothing you or the manager did made the system ship out quicker, it would have shipped out the same time even if you never called.

Dell has been getting destroyed lately due to serious lateness/delayed order complaints on their forums. I think it's partially because of Walmart selling Dells now and they are just struggling to keep up. I just got my XPS M1330 from Ebay because I wasn't willing to wait 6-8 weeks for my order through Dell.

It's not only Dell, Lenovo have delaying problems of their own.
Most people here are right, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba et al don't give two flying shoes what you want and when you want it.

if you think dell is shafty try dealing with Comcast.

Comcast is nothing. Cavtel makes them look like great people.

To OP:
Get over yourself. You think Dell cares what you think so much?
Your laptop was probably delayed due to an insane amount of LCD shortage. Even the company I work for, considered a "large" company to Dell can't get stuff on time due to the shortage. It's getting better now, but there was a time when we had to wait 3+ weeks to get 19" LCDs. And, even still, there's companies who were able to push ahead of us and get theirs.
Sure, a manager may be able to push your one laptop ahead a little bit and get it to you sooner. That's because they have priorities - get the companies who have muli-million (if not billion) dollar contracts with them served, then worry about the guy who spent $1200 on a laptop later. Make sense, no?
Also, maybe be glad that they gave you a call? There's a lot of companies that won't even do that - they expect you to check on your order and find out on your own.
You, complaining, as an individual will _never_ result in anything measureable to them. You're taking a piss in the ocean and hoping to measure for a difference in depth.
Sorry, no dice.

What he said. One thing I give dell some credit for is they generally overestimate how long it will take them to build something. Personaly I would rather have someone tell me it will be ready in 2 weeks and have it show up in one then tell me it will take 1.5 weeks and take 2. Also with dell the key is to deal with business sales. Guys are a lot better and based in the US in most cases. I have 2 dell reps I deal with that usualy do a great job of getting me set.

I really think that is all BS and they have a system of priority on who to build the system first. They use BS delays to accommodate this.

Well done..... I applaud your absolute lack of respect for people.

OF COURSE THERE IS A QUEUE OF SYSTEMS THAT THEY BUILD FIRST. This queue is decided by, wait for it, the order that people ordered the systems in!

You called up, lied, acted like an absolute asshole, and got pushed to the top of this queue. Now some other poor fuck got pushed DOWN the queue thanks to you.

Way to go. You're a hero. I seriously hope you're never in a position of power over any other people, because you sound like an absolute wanker.

Congratulations, you are a self-important nobody.

Your assessment of Dell on a whole is wildly inaccurate as to how the vast wide majority of their customers are treated.

Have a nice day crying about your toy that's going to be a few weeks late.

To sum up OP's post: GIVE ME IT NOW, IT'S MINE.

well i have had good exsperiences with dell . I usually get my orders within 2 days.
the only bad exsperience i had was some faulty technical info from a sales rep.
but a company that size is bound to have a few idiots working
and to assume dell has a list of people to build and ship to first is a little far fetched
i am sure they're building them and shipping them as fast as they can and in the order they were recieved.

Just some words of advise from my past month or so experiences from a first time Dell customer. Customer service SUCKS!! Here is the story in a nutshell:

I ordered my Inspiron 1520 about a month ago and it had a estimated shipping date of 9/4. On 9/3 I got a phone from dell saying my laptop has been delayed and can't ship until 10/4. My jaw dropped, I cannot believe this had happened to me. I was so excited to receive it in just a few more days after a full month of waiting. After that I called Dell and immediately asked to talk to a manager. The first time i called i was basically hung up on and had to recall. The second time I got in touch with a manager. And for future reference, when calling Dell...ALWAYS, and i mean ALWAYS lie. That is the only way to get the service you deserve. As soon as you reach a manager inform them that you have been treated poorly by previous people on the phone. You will now have the managers full attention.

Once you have the managers full attention, tell them how outraged you are that your shipment has been delayed a full month. Tell them your situation, in my case, i am a college student and was expecting to have this in time for my programming class. Let them know you are furious with how your laptop has been delayed for so long and that they should have a warning that these delays will occur in plain sight before you even order. Also insist on a compensation. After about 2 minutes the manager will do anything to make you happy. Out of this phone call she gave me a $50 coupon, upgraded me to overnight shipping once my system was made, and left a note to production company that i was high priority. What did this get me...?

One week later (today) I got an email saying my laptop has been shipped and it should be here tomorrow. I really think Dell is shafty, they said supplies were on back order and wouldn't be available for a month. I really think that is all BS and they have a system of priority on who to build the system first. They use BS delays to accommodate this.

If you find yourself in a situation similar to mine (which i'm sure plenty of you will), give this approach a shot.

There has been an LCD shortage for every company for a while now. I think it's getting better, but I haven't looked up on it. You're bascially just a idiotic jackass and posting only makes it more relevant. Your "estimated ship date" is just, estimated. Could be sooner, could be later.

Here's a little story for you. I ordered a notebook for my sister a few weeks back, maybe mid-august. When researching the models and running through the online config I noticed that under the displays certain choices said there would be a delay due to the shortage, who would've though? So what did I do? I ordered the glossy screen that did not note a delay (why does the glossy not have a delay? beats me) and guess what? It actually arrived a few days early.

What's the moral of the story? Don't be a moron and actually use what little of a brain you have and it can do wonders.

Not one single issue with dell here via my personal orders or work orders, when your a company that large, you can never plese %100 of people, and people never post about their great experiences, welcome to life, get used to it, dont like it, then you start our own billion dollar PC shop and see how well you are when you have millions of customers worldwide.

The first time i called i was basically hung up on and had to recall. The second time I got in touch with a manager. And for future reference, when calling Dell...ALWAYS, and i mean ALWAYS lie.

No, for future reference ALWAYS ALWAYS be calm and curteous to NOT get hung up on, how would lying help, you DONT think they keep all emails and phone calls you make on record?

man, god must love stupid people, he made so many of them

I've never bought anything from Dell, but I do a lot of work for a lot of clients that have Dell's and my experiences range from great to atrocious. The worst was Dell taking 5 weeks and 3 attempts to deliver a replacement CD-RW to a client. The first try took them 2 weeks and they sent a regular CD-ROM, next attempt took an additional week and they received a DVD-ROM, finally on the 3rd try (it's a charm I guess) they managed to get a CD-RW to the business. I believe alot of this has to do more with the fact most of the parts are made/shipped from China, and the lack of speed and quality control is really hampering performance. Overall Dell has been pretty average for me, mostly OK service, some really bad.

But all OEM's can drop the ball occasionally, except for HP. Their business class warranty's should be plated in gold because of their worth.

Order z5500's said they were in stock.

Then I got a notice a week later saying they were backordered for another week.

So I patiently waited.

Just got another notice that it will be another week and they are required by law to give me the option to cancel my order.

Still waiting but if it's goign to take another week I'll just cancel and order them for $100 more elsewhere. it said in stock when I ordered!

Dell is one or the other, with no in between

they are either incredible and great and the best thing since slice bread

or they are the complete opposite, crap, slow, useless and could die a death and no one would miss em.

Dell and many other manufactures have always been slower this time of the year because all of the students buying laptops around this time. I've always found Dell's CS to be good though and they accept returns with little hassle. I ordered a Lenovo and got it withing 10 days, but their CS sux. They try to push a 15% restocking fee for unopened items when the main page of their website doesn't mention one for unopened items. You have to argue with them for them to cave.

I thought this thread had slowly died away a peaceful death.
I can see this is going downhill fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back