To all Canadian buyers for stuff from abroad. Canda Customs is on Strike!!!!!!!!

Secretweapon

Weaksauce
Yes, as of Oct.07/04 Canada customs, visa, immigration and related federal agency clerks are on strike. Huge customs backlog (possibly more than a month) There were also labor disruptions before the strike. If you want to ship anything from outside Canada it might take a while to get to you. This shouldn't effect shipping to other countries though.

Well doesn't that just fucking suck. :(

Hopefully they will hammer out a new contract and get back to work soon.

SimGuy said:
Well doesn't that just fucking suck. :(

Hopefully they will hammer out a new contract and get back to work soon.

And new contract or parlament is talking about back-to-work law that will force everyone back to work.

I ordered 2 Computer parts from the USA.
What should I expect? I live in Canada,Quebec

Maybe a sticky would be nice. Many people don't know (or didn't know)

umm , this shouldnt be a problem though.. I have send stuffs to my friends in Canada last couple days.. and they got the stuffs on time too:)

mother fuckers get back to work, strikign is dumb if they dont like the job they can quit, no wonder my stuff is taking so long to get here

Uhm..No Striking isnt Dumb...It allows people to get what they need as far as Contracts go..Theres nothing wrong with Unions..There should be more of them!!

All depends on how things get sorted out. It's not just customs on strike. It's all the related federal agencies, you won't be able to get a visa etc. I did get a pump I bought privately about 10days ago from the US but I'm stilling waiting on some earlier purchases. I doubt any new stuff would get through now that they are officially on strike.

I'd just fire them all and hire new people. It is not like it takes a Masters degree to work there.......seems like Unions are a way for people without a college degrees to make themselves valuable.

Dammit....stupid government employees. I've got a few things coming in from the states....now it's probably going to take forever. :mad:

I second the notion to sticky this thread....I almost missed it

NOOOOOO! I have to send money for 2 deals I have contracted :mad: :(

What should I do now? I am in the same boat as Koslov..

Para

bump for canadians!

Para: yea it blows hard. lets pray this mess get sorted out quick.

I thought they can't be on strike according to the law. Cuz I heard about them working to "rule", aka being a lazy ass worker.

I decided to ship with FedEx on my side since, as the lady told me, FedEx shipments from USA to Canada, and vice versa, are unaffected by this situation. Maybe its bullshit to shut me up :eek:

Para

damnit.. someone shipped me auto parts last week..
i wanted to try and get them installed before it got really cold..

damn

Employee.s are back to work today but will do other pressure on the government.

tjf_diesel said:
I'd just fire them all and hire new people. It is not like it takes a Masters degree to work there.......seems like Unions are a way for people without a college degrees to make themselves valuable.

UMMM OK...I have a college degree,and IM UNION!!

My union protects us against people that would " just fire them all and hire new people"

tjf_diesel said:

Bingo.

Unions are bittersweet. At times they can help you and others really make ya mad. I worked for union and i hated it as i wouldn't get squat from them until the ppl that had been working more than 3 yaears more than me on the same job quit. But i still had to pay union dues. Probably rated #2 for worst job i've ever had.

Col_Hogan said:
Uhm..No Striking isnt Dumb...It allows people to get what they need as far as Contracts go..Theres nothing wrong with Unions..There should be more of them!!

Yes they are dumb. They were needed 80 years ago, but not anymore. They are greedy and screw over the common worker to benifit whoever is in charge of the union.

Super-b said:
Unions are bittersweet. At times they can help you and others really make ya mad. I worked for union and i hated it as i wouldn't get squat from them until the ppl that had been working more than 3 yaears more than me on the same job quit. But i still had to pay union dues. Probably rated #2 for worst job i've ever had.

Im not sure thats a union issue, That sounds more like a seniority thing. i think your gonna run into that anywhere you work

Before this turns into a union bashing thread, there is good and bad in everything.
All I can say is I have better benifits, and more job security than any of my non union friends.
However I am more than qualified for my position, and rest on my merits, not my union card.

Management doesent fuck with me for 2 reasons:

First and formost is because I DO MY JOB....
The second is because Im union.

I hope I never need the second to protect my job.

I do understand and see on a daily basis where a union can protect the weak. I dont agree with that aspect of it, I fully believe that if you are not capable of doing your job, no union should protect you.

Unfortunatly, It doesent always work that way.

Crosshairs said:
Im not sure thats a union issue, That sounds more like a seniority thing. i think your gonna run into that anywhere you work

Before this turns into a union bashing thread, there is good and bad in everything.
All I can say is I have better benifits, and more job security than any of my non union friends.
However I am more than qualified for my position, and rest on my merits, not my union card.

Management doesent fuck with me for 2 reasons:

First and formost is because I DO MY JOB....
The second is because Im union.

I hope I never need the second to protect my job.

I do understand and see on a daily basis where a union can protect the weak. I dont agree with that aspect of it, I fully believe that if you are not capable of doing your job, no union should protect you.

Unfortunatly, It doesent always work that way.

well said

Back