TN or IPS

@Absalom
Yes, back in the 200x all IPS monitors had better viewing angles than most of today's offerings.

Also CCFL is better tech for monitors than W-LED and especially IPS panels being absolute premium always had best lamps. I really like image from those old IPS screens, it seems so comfy and easy on eyes compared to W-LED screens.

You should imho consider something like NEC PA271W. It have what is most probably best WCG-CCFL lamp in existence and I consider monitor with it just for the heck of having one =) With full hardware calibration including 3d-LUT you cannot go wrong with this monitor in things like color rendition and it is also old IPS panel breed, meaning superior viewing angles and in fact in every single aspect it is superior to what 27" version of 20WMGX2 would be.

No you have it backwards.

The only time it is really an issue is when you are sitting in a darker than normal room. Anytime in daytime, blacks on my screen look as dark as the plastic bezel as my A-TW screen, IOW there is no sign they are emitting light.

I had a CRT next to an LCD for a while and in daytime, the LCD looked more contrasty because it was brighter, and blacks looked about the same. In the Dark the situation reversed, because then the LCD blacks looked like it emitted light.

It all depends on room lighting.

But if you like sitting in the dark,then yeah, you have point, for your specific use case.
You ended up saying the same thing as I did.

You ended up saying the same thing as I did.

No.

You said IPS was only good in bad lighting (sun shining directly on your screen).

I said, IPS was only a problem in bad lighting (dark).

I said the opposite of what you said.

@Absalom
Yes, back in the 200x all IPS monitors had better viewing angles than most of today's offerings.

Nope. This problem has existed as long as there have been IPS screens. Several companies make their own IPS clones now (PLS, A-HVA) and they also have white glow.

I had Dell U3007WFP in about 2008, that had exactly the same white glow problems people complain about today.

But ten years ago, IPS screens were smaller, so people didn't notice the white glow as much, but it was still there.

Except for the panels with an A-TW filter. Like the NEC 2x90 series.

I remember there were some cheap screens that ended up using the same screen as NEC 2690 and had an A-TW filter. There were threads of people talking about winning the panel lottery and getting a A-TW model for cheap, and there were comparison shots of the exact same model one with the A-TW and without it. Dramatic difference.

I am stumped A-TW isn't in use on current high end IPS panels. It would be a big differentiator for a lot of people. Sure it cost more, but I would gladly pay to have it on my next screen. I paid $1300 to get it on my 24" NEC, which was double what other 24" IPS screens cost at the time.

My NEC 2490 is my favorite computer purchase that I have ever made, and I have no idea what I would replace it with if it failed. It's almost a decade old and there is still nothing that offers comparable image quality to an A-TW IPS, that has seemingly disappeared.

Edit:
Here is a link back to one of those posts from 2008 where someone discovered cheaper panel with A-TW polarizer, and the Glowing Apple 23" IPS screen to compare with.
https://hardforum.com/threads/doublesight-ds-263n-26.1268063/page-6#post-1032286971

Last edited:
I am stumped A-TW isn't in use on current high end IPS panels. It would be a big differentiator for a lot of people. Sure it cost more, but I would gladly pay to have it on my next screen. I paid $1300 to get it on my 24" NEC, which was double what other 24" IPS screens cost at the time.

My NEC 2490 is my favorite computer purchase that I have ever made, and I have no idea what I would replace it with if it failed. It's almost a decade old and there is still nothing that offers comparable image quality to an A-TW IPS, that has seemingly disappeared.

Edit:
Here is a link back to one of those posts from 2008 where someone discovered cheaper panel with A-TW polarizer, and the Glowing Apple 23" IPS screen to compare with.
https://hardforum.com/threads/doublesight-ds-263n-26.1268063/page-6#post-1032286971
Ever heard about Eizo? Check their ColorEdge monitors and there it is what you are looking for.

I think it hasn't. Check the CG and CX series. They mention about the feature.

No CX under coloredge:
http://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/

While I might be willing to pay double to get an A-TW polarizer, I am not willing to pay 5 times as much. CG series has stupid level pricing.

You can the new DELL 30" OLED for less (~$3500) the price of CG series 30" LCD(~$5000).

At that price I would get the OLED Monitor. No viewing angle issues and perfect blacks.

Though it is good to see that something like the A-TW polarizer still exists. Maybe NEC could offer a more affordable option, their pricing was always a bit more sane.

Last edited:
Great answers. :)

So Dell makes the highest class monitors ?

Their Ultrasharps (U) and Professional (P) series have great image quality. Their E series sucks and caused me eye strain. I haven't used their S series.

Im leaning toward the acer predator ips 27" screen..is it true that acer gets the best displays from the manufacture AO in china ?
and then asus gets the second best quality..hence why we got this BLB and worse?!
It is possible that Acer gets to pick the best panels for their products, but there is no data to either confirm or deny this. BLB level will pretty much come down to the quality of the assembly of the entire monitor. In the end it is still a lottery no matter which manufacturer you buy from.

@snowdog
You should consider picking up used HP LP2480ZX as these monitors are ridiculously cheap in the US. They usually have pink screens due to green LED wearing off faster but it is easy to correct if you have original HP calibration probe which while somewhat costy will still make this combo pretty inexpensive, especially given these monitors have absolutely the best 24" 1920x1200 panels that were ever produced.

Monitors support full hardware calibration with ability to emulate arbitrary color spaces and they always have 1000:1 contrast ratio regardless of used whitepoint and always have black point in exactly the same chromatic point as whitepoint as whitepoint is set by RGB LEDs not panel. Not even your NEC 2490WUXi can claim being as much 'reference' as these DreamColors can.

I have two such monitors and both have perfect uniformity. There is not a single issue with dithering on my units.
I also have NEC 2090UXi for comparison. Not quite 2490WUXi but I guess differences are minor:
- NEC have RTC articacts when using this function and it pretty much made me disable it. HP RTC is pretty much as good as they make them and there is not reason to disable it.
- With RTC or not HP have noticeably better motion clarity.
- HP have PWM at all settings. NEC only at non-100% brightness.
- NEC have better text rendering as native sRGB monitors are better in this regard from emulated sRGB on Wide-Gamut monitors and RGB-LED is as wide gamut as you can get.
- NEC does not really hit perfect sRGB while HP can easily be calibrated to it. I checked 2090UXi and 2490WUXi are supposed to have the same gamut.
- NEC is limited to sRGB and does not offer option to calibrate it while HP can be calibrated to any color space within its gamut.
- NEC laps got yellow over time and I had to sacrifice contrast ratio on it to calibrate it to 6500:1. HP got pink but no contrast ratio sacrifice needed to be made thus HP have vastly better CR now. Native vs native they seem comparable, HP slightly better.
- Input lag feels roughly the same
- Viewing angles are the same

All in all I love all my A-TW monitors. What is not to love about them? ^_^
Currently all my displays have perfect viewing angles :D

TN, especially with the progression of monitors. The glow of most IPS monitors just causes eye strain at night.

Im leaning toward the acer predator ips 27" screen..is it true that acer gets the best displays from the manufacture AO in china ?
and then asus gets the second best quality..hence why we got this BLB and worse?!

1. AUO isn't Chinese.

2. Unlikely, because BenQ is AUO's own brand, so it's unlikely they 'prefer' one customer over the other.

3. It doesn't explain why PG278Q and XB270HU (the first 1440p/144hz TN and AHVA panels respectively, both are manufactured by AUO) have similar amount of panel quality complaints, considering that BenQ didn't release anything close, and there were no significant customer demand conflicts.

If you are talking about XB271HU vs PG279Q, the 2 two panels are completely different (the former is 8bit+FRC, the latter is 8bit). I put it down to the individual company's manufacturing, rather than the panel. I only blame the panel when it comes to dead pixels, BLB is not the panel's problem.

Back