• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TJ07......With Water Added.......

Mixman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
671
Ok I got my TJ07 today. I must say, wow.....big box. As I am unpacking it you see that it is one of the best looking cases out there.

As you probably know Larkin gave the TJ07 a pretty good going over already. I am going to take a little different look at this.....the TJ07 as a water cooling case.

A few pro's and cons first.

Pros - It is a very roomy case that can probably fit just about any configuration you would like from air cooling to a double or triple rad water system. It is well built and sturdy and easy to work in.

Cons - While it is well built it may be a slight step behind the absolute quality of Lian Li. I have a V1000 and it has a few nice touches that the Silverstone doesn't. One of them is the grommets around the openings, the TJ's not only fell off, they fell apart....oh well, maybe I didn't need them anyway. Another is no support for a floppy. You have to buy a 3.5" transfer bay.....another $18 on top of the steep price....they should be free ! :mad:

OK, now to adding water. You can mount a double rad at the bottom with ease, without cutting the case or even drilling. I just used velcro to mount my double rad. I only had to remove one hd drive cage. You could mount a triple rad, only if you remove the second hd cage. I also mounted my pump at the bottom, although that required a bit mork trial an error(cuts).You could always mount your hd cage in the 5 1/4" drive bay area at the bottom. You will just loose the use of about three drive bays. You could also mount a doble rad at the top, but that would requiere a bit more work....some modding.

That's it for now. I will post pics later. I have to rest my bloody fingers a bit ! :eek:

Boy is that box big !
TJ07212.jpg


Check out those sleek lines.
TJ07213.jpg


A double rad fits with ease.
TJ07214.jpg
 
Pics added.


l0cke said:

Yeah I know...... but the Asus P5WD2 motherboard sometimes needs them for loading drivers, and its nice to have for legacy stuff.
 
do you see any problems mounting that radiator up topside? will it interfer with the mobo wires or anything?
 
Mixman said:
Pics added.




Yeah I know...... but the Asus P5WD2 motherboard sometimes needs them for loading drivers, and its nice to have for legacy stuff.
i'd just put the floppy in one of the HD cages down in the bottom and pop off the side panel one the rare occasion that it's needed.
 
Mixman said:
Yeah I know...... but the Asus P5WD2 motherboard sometimes needs them for loading drivers, and its nice to have for legacy stuff.
Can always just make the installation disc with slipstreamed drivers beforehand.
 
The floppy thing is no big deal, I can do without one.

You could mount the rad up top but it will require more work than down bottom. At the bottom you can get the best of both worlds, cool rad and up top have the two120mm's help keep other parts of the mobo cool.
 
Seems like it would be rather loud. Have you powered it on yet?
 
Are you going to mount any fans to that rad? I assume you will, so how will you mount them - between the case and rad or between the rad and PSU? Is there much room between the rad and the PSU? Since most PSU's have two fans on them I would be weary of the bottom PSU fan blowing warm air on my rad if the PSU cannot be inserted without it's fans blowing out the rear and side of the case.

Can the hard drive cage be reversed it's fan switched to the same side of the rad? I'm thinking have 2 fans between the case and the rad sucking air in and then using the 2 hard drive fans to blow the warm air out. Then it would be really great if you could mount the pump in one of the HD cages and have the rad connected to the pump with minimal tubing. Then once all the wires and tubing are run you can seal off the holes from the lower area to the main area to thwart off any warm air leaking in.
 
Man I just love that case. Seriously thinking of selling my watercooled v2000 and picking this one up. How is the noise on this case? I really want a silent computer.
 
cnick79 said:
Are you going to mount any fans to that rad? I assume you will, so how will you mount them - between the case and rad or between the rad and PSU? Is there much room between the rad and the PSU? Since most PSU's have two fans on them I would be weary of the bottom PSU fan blowing warm air on my rad if the PSU cannot be inserted without it's fans blowing out the rear and side of the case.

Can the hard drive cage be reversed it's fan switched to the same side of the rad? I'm thinking have 2 fans between the case and the rad sucking air in and then using the 2 hard drive fans to blow the warm air out. Then it would be really great if you could mount the pump in one of the HD cages and have the rad connected to the pump with minimal tubing. Then once all the wires and tubing are run you can seal off the holes from the lower area to the main area to thwart off any warm air leaking in.

What you don't see is that I the fans were connected to the rad on the other side taking in air from the outer grill. As a matter of fact they are 38mm Panaflo's. So there is room between the rad and PSU. I'll take more pics later.

Mounting in he HD cage will be a little more difficult, I think you'll have to modify the cage to fit the tubing. I'll check it out though.
 
Mixman said:
What you don't see is that I the fans were connected to the rad on the other side taking in air from the outer grill. As a matter of fact they are 38mm Panaflo's. So there is room between the rad and PSU. I'll take more pics later.

Mounting in he HD cage will be a little more difficult, I think you'll have to modify the cage to fit the tubing. I'll check it out though.
Does the rad get in the way of the cages or not? Were the cages only made for having the fans next to them? Will you have to cut the cages? I didn't know the TJ-07 was so cool until I saw the dual rad setup. I just don't want to cut anything. :eek:
 
M4rk said:
Does the rad get in the way of the cages or not? Were the cages only made for having the fans next to them? Will you have to cut the cages? I didn't know the TJ-07 was so cool until I saw the dual rad setup. I just don't want to cut anything. :eek:

I hate to cut anything too.....especially on a $359 case ! So far I have mounted my whole water system (leak testing now) and have not put one hole in my case. All you have to do is remove one HD cage to mount the dual rad. The rad with fans fits right next to the PSU and before the second cage.
 
So you still have one HD cage you can mount HDDs in? How many does one case hold, three? Cool. Don't need much more than that. TJ-07 is looking pretty sweet, on par with a CM 830 in my book. Guess I'll just have to buy both someday! :cool:
 
Here are the rest of the pics. One is the almost finished product. I know, I know I have to clean up the wires, but I am going to need extension for my fan wires to reach the controller.

This is from the other side with the fans on the rad showing.
TJ07216.jpg



This is the semi finished product. I will clean up wires soon.
TJ07217.jpg



TJ07 (left) and V1000 (right)
TJ07218.jpg
 
that is the worst cabling ever!!!
come on man, u spend a good amount of money on a case, and u give it some water, but no cabling?!?!
comeon!!!
 
I hate to threadcrap, but why is that when Thermaltake, etc. blatantly immitates a chassis design from Coolermaster, etc. everyone cries about it, but when Silverstone immitates a chassis design from Lian-Li, everyone praises them?
 
It may look like a similar design to the V1000, but they it is not. Looks yes, a little similar, design no.
 
I posted this in larkin's thread but I'll post it here too..no intention of hijacking...just giving more info. Mixman-tell me if yours has the same problems mine does please.

I got mine and put it together Friday.
First off if you take out 1 HDD cage, only use 1 PSU, and move the second HDD cage about half an inch toward the front of the case and drill some new holes you can fit a BIX III down there
I dont see how it is possible, without major modification, to use it BTX style though

This case is by far the best case I have ever used or seen. It looks extremely clean and wire routing is pretty easy. I do have 4 complaints though. Even though they seem not-so-minor, they get belittled by everything thats great about this case.

1) The back of the hard drive cages are so close to the back mesh that the hard drive wires are smashed back there more than I would like. And it seems the cage itself is a little bit too wide so there is a gap between the walls and the drives so you have to screw each drive in alittle bit each time to compress the sides in.
2) If I look closely at my case I can see 3 scuffs on the case, like someone accidently rubbed something sharp on it or the machine missed. One is on the motherboard tray in plain site one is on the drive piece of metal you mount the optical drives to, and one is on the bottom below a hard drive cage (this one took paint with it).
3) The machining along many of the edges seems like it really could have been done better. Im not sure how to describe them but its like they stopped in multiple places and realligned the cut. Your eyes are drawn to other things in the case though so you dont really see it.
4) The back plate if taken off isnt completely straight...its kinda warped so when you try to put it back on it is tough to get it in place and screw it in. They are very nice thumb screws though.
Other than that it is a VERY solid case and I'm curious if other people have this issue with theirs. Maybe mine was just rushed?
I will try to get pictures soon
2 more things-- My video cards do get hotter than in my TT xaser III (It had 2 case fans directly on them though) and keep in mind there is no 3.5" drive bay unless you want to mod the bay which the usb ports go. If you could drill some screw holes the floppy drive fits pretty nice down there.
The case is quieter than my Xaser III...I wouldn't say it is silent though. Im not really big on worrying about that so maybe I'm not the guy to ask :/
 
Let's see....My hard drive cages aren't giving me any problems. I am using SATA cables so that may make a difference.

My motherboard is cooler than before. I have had it in both a V1100 and a P180 case. The fans in there now are more designed for quiet than cooling well. I plan to change all of the fans to more powerful ones. This is no problem since I have a fan controller. I just need to order some fan extension cables, hence the mess in my case now.

Like I said in my first post I don't think this case is totally up to the quality of LL cases but I think it is close. On the other hand it does have a unique design that may be head in shoulders over any case I have had. Who knows I may sell the my V1000 and get another one for my other setup ? :eek:
 
Mixman said:

Does your power supply have a fan pointing at your rad sucking air off?

The only thing that worries me is getting good ventilation coming in and making sure it gets out.

Is there a fan in the front of the case pulling in air? Edited: I saw pics and it doesn't appear to.

Do you think the mesh on the side panels of the case can be cut out and replaced? Perhaps a nicely modded and easy to remove filter could take its place.

..and for the love of god man, clean up those wires.
 
cnick79 said:
Does your power supply have a fan pointing at your rad sucking air off?

The only thing that worries me is getting good ventilation coming in and making sure it gets out.

Is there a fan in the front of the case pulling in air? Edited: I saw pics and it doesn't appear to.

Do you think the mesh on the side panels of the case can be cut out and replaced? Perhaps a nicely modded and easy to remove filter could take its place.

..and for the love of god man, clean up those wires.

No, the OCZ doesn't have a fan pointing towards the rad. No front fan but no need. When you actually think about it most fron fans are there for cooling the hard drives anyway. There is more than enough cooling in this case, especially with better fans.
 
What method are you using to secure the radiator to the case?

Maybe a few pics with more light focused inside the case would clear up the pictures.
 
The air getting pushed through the radiator will simply be pushed out of the bottom...thats why the mesh is nice. The mesh can be taken out very easily, the only thing keeping it in are some bent over tabs. Velcro is the best way I can think of to secure the rad down there.
 
any close up pics of the rad and the pump .. and how tight those bends are .. seems like the bottom is just 1 big clusterfuck

also so the 2 fans sucking air in onto the rad .. the air is just getting trapped right into the psu ?

hmm according to henry and performance-pcs .. u can fit a bix II right at the top with no modding whatsoever .. and it doesnt interfere with anything ?
 
jetjaguar said:
any close up pics of the rad and the pump .. and how tight those bends are .. seems like the bottom is just 1 big clusterfuck

also so the 2 fans sucking air in onto the rad .. the air is just getting trapped right into the psu ?

hmm according to henry and performance-pcs .. u can fit a bix II right at the top with no modding whatsoever .. and it doesnt interfere with anything ?

It is a little tight, but not as tight as it seems. I much prefer to have the rad down there I would rather keep the hot air down there and away from my motherboard. Plus my mother board now has two fans blowing on it (92mm) and two fans exhausting on it (120mm). It is as if the rad isn't there. This is one of the reasons why I really like this case !
 
monopixel said:
G5 => PC-V1000(2000) => TJ07 => who's next?

Thermaltake!

...on a serious note though, Mixman, do you think you could get us some upclose pics of the top two exhuast fans from the inside? we would all really appreciate it!
 
nytrackstar said:
Thermaltake!

...on a serious note though, Mixman, do you think you could get us some upclose pics of the top two exhuast fans from the inside? we would all really appreciate it!

I have wires all over the place now so you wouldn't see it clearly. When I get my extension cables and sort my mesh out I will take more pics, but I kind of doubt you will be able to totally see the mounting system anyway. I had to get a flashlight and look carefully to see it clearly myself.

I'll try to describe it. It is a mesh wire at the top. There is another hanging mesh (strong) that is moulded around the fans themselves. If you put in anything larger than a 25mm fan you will have to use a new way of mounting them. If you mount a rad up there you will have to take off the mounting mesh and screw directly into the mesh or the case itself. Hope that helps.
 
can the mounting mesh be unscrewed? do u have to cut it? what do u think is the best way to go about doing that, with least modding as possible
 
No, it cannot be unscrewed. I just checked and tried to unloosen it, and it is one piece. If you add anything there other than a 25mm fan you will have to either bend the fan bracket, which is part of the mesh, or totally replace it with a grill. Sorry for the confusion...... :confused:
 
nytrackstar said:
Thermaltake!

...on a serious note though, Mixman, do you think you could get us some upclose pics of the top two exhuast fans from the inside? we would all really appreciate it!


Not his setup, but pics of the top two fans from the bottom up:


IMG_2678.jpg


Lot's more pics here!
 
killamanjaro said:
What do you guys think of this product from Aqua Computer which allows you to mount the Rads in the drive bays? Aqua Computer

Or this mounting system from the same company that allows you to mount it in the bottom
Bottom Mount


Another Option Innovatek Mount

that could work but lets say u wanted to mount a triple rad. you know how many slots that would take up?

also how much larger do you think this case is compared to a stacker or chieftec case?
 
killamanjaro said:
What do you guys think of this product from Aqua Computer which allows you to mount the Rads in the drive bays? Aqua Computer

Or this mounting system from the same company that allows you to mount it in the bottom
Bottom Mount


Another Option Innovatek Mount


Is the bottom mount really needed? I can see being able to get away with mounting your rad to the bottom of the case without the need for that system unless you want to suck air in from the bottom.

I do like the drive bay mount. I can see this coming in handy if you have a lot of drive bay space and a good way to get both cool air in and warm air out.
 
Th aqua stuff is not needed here, the case already has two places to put a rad.
 
Thanks for all the pics JonDom!! So heres what i figure could work...

removing all the mesh and just stick one of the AC Ryan radgrills... looks like itll take the triple rad to cover that open space.

opinion on that? another option? maybe just bending the mesh into submission?
 
It's 11 3/4" so it's not big enough for a triple rad. To fit a triple rad you would have to do some cutting of the case.
 
Back
Top