TJ Max?

mis3

Gawd
What is the real TJ max of a Q6600-G0?

According to CoretTemp 0.97.1, this is 100C.
According to Real Temp 2.24, this is 95C.

See this page: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3251&p=4
More than a few programs have been released over the last few years, each claiming to accurately report these DTS values in real-time. The truth is that none can be fully trusted as the Tjunction values utilized in these transformations may not always be correct. Moreover, Intel representatives have informed us that these as-of-yet unpublished Tjunction values may actually vary from model to model - sometimes even between different steppings - and that the temperature response curves may not be entirely accurate across the whole reporting range. Since all of today's monitoring programs have come to incorrectly assume that Tjunction values are a function of the processor family/stepping only, we have no choice but to call everything we thought we had come to know into question. Until Intel decides to publish these values on a per-model basis, the best these DTS readings can do for us is give a relative indication of each core's remaining thermal margin, whatever that may be.

One thing you can rely on is Tcase max, which is 71C on the G0 Q6600. I believe I read that the processor will shut down when that value is exceeded by 20C. So unless you turned off throttling and push it beyond 71C, you should never get that far.

But first we have to know the core temperatures!

There is usually a 5C difference in the reported temperatures from Real Temp and Core Temp.

You're only going to get as close to exact temperatures as you can measure. :p

The point really is that you won't get that close to Tj max anyways. The processor will shut down if you turn off throttling, have insufficient cooling and exceed Tcase spec by 20C (IIRC).

IOW, under normal conditions the processor won't throttle and even if you have insufficient cooling, throttling will keep it well away from Tj max. Under abnormal conditions, the processor will save itself before it melts.

Back