TIVO: Cellphone to update TIVO? (or callign card?)

MoJoJoJo

2[H]4U
Hey, I have a Gen1 TIVO with lifetime subscription. I want to bring my TIVO to college - and I dont have dorm phone service there (not worth it, being that i have a cellphone). Now, i want to either use my cellphone, or a calling card and dont know how to do either.

For cellphone - I know that you can the tivo to hook up to an external modem and make standard serial transmission requests, but that wont help here, as I dont think i can use my phone as a modem (I know that there are some that can, but those are USB and mine is not one of them).
I was thinking that i could hook up the phone jack to the handsfree headset jack on my phone. I would then manually dial the desired number, and have the tivo dial then connect it to my phone (the dialing sounds might create problems or confuse the other end). Then the tivo could download the schedule data (probably would be limited to 14.4, but i only have to do this once a week or so, so thats not a big deal). This is good in theory, but i dont konw how to wire this up. I dont think its as simple as connect the two wires from the stereo cable to the two from the two from the phone, as there are differences in resistances of the wires, plus other technical issues which im not yet aware of.

Second possiblity is using a calling card - I dont know how to (or if it is possible) to get tivo to do this.

I know that there are hack upgrades for the tivo to let it use broadband, but even that wouud be annoying/expensive, as then I would have to run it into my computer before it would connect to the net because of my schools Network policies (you are given 1 ip, which is tied to your NIC's mac address. If you change NIC cards, you have to reregister). pust the card+router would be atleast $100+

THNX for any input you guys can offer.

Not sure you can do something like this with the Gen 1 TiVos, you might want to looking into selling it and building an HTPC and use BTV since it lets you shedule recordings over the phone.

just bring a router with you. register your pc's mac and then just clone it with the router. easy as pie

THnx for the info - I know its technically possible and pretty easy to do it like that, but its also expensive (70 bux for the NIC for the TIVO, plus 40 for the router, plus wiring), where as building the cable shouldn't be more than a few bucks (i already have both cables, just need whatever resistors/filters to connect the two). THnx anyway.

Back