Tips on speeding up powerline network?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
So I recently upgraded from a shitty cable 20/2.5 connection to a new fiber 100/20 line and my powerline network seems to handle it but isn't perfect.

image.jpg

That's what I'm getting right now (included a pic of my download with steam mid way through a 2gb game). Plugged right into my modem with my laptop I reach 104/29 but as the picture shows over the powerline it's about 10 Mbps slower. I was only getting 50/29 before I but added a new outlet in my utility room that feeds off the same circuit as my PC room and now I'm achieving 94/29. I know it's silly to fret over 10Mbps but any tips on milking every last drop from it? I know it would be better to run cat 5 but it's on the opposite end of my house and don't want to try fishing cat 5 there.

Edit: using a set of tp-link nano 500Mbps powerline adapters.

Seems like you're doing pretty well! :)

What are the exact model of the adapters you are using?

You can see if another electronic device in your house is affecting it - go around unplugged 1 outlet at a time and speedtest again to see if you get better.

These Powerline plugs are great for temporary home networks.

As an aside a lot of them say 200-500 mbps speeds on the marketing but that is for between the plugs, then they use a 10/100 plug so you can only get that. Check the model (or link it here).

Also if you add extra plugs to the existing pair it can reduce the through put on the plugs. For instance I have 2 pairs of older 200 mbps plugs joined up and my fibre download speeds via them is ~50 mbps but my main PC plugged directly into the modem is 103 mbps.

Yep. The ethernet port on those is 100Mb so you're pretty much at the max. The 500Mb is for the total "bus" between all adapters. The faster ones do 1Gb ports...have some NetGear 1.2Gb adapters with Gb ports.

Thanks guys, ya I have 3 adapters in my house, I also have a media PC that seems to hit about 70 Mbps but that's in a different circuit. I may just end up running cat5 it's just going to be a pain lol

So update, I sucked it up and ran cat5 in my house, it was stupid because of locations but I got my 10% speed back, and dropped a ping :D
4500626311.png

I am now satisfied with my 100/20 package I pay for lol

So I recently upgraded from a shitty cable 20/2.5 connection to a new fiber 100/20 line and my powerline network seems to handle it but isn't perfect.

image.jpg

That's what I'm getting right now

You have rock star electrical cabling in your house. I can't get above 65Mb in my house. I wouldn't complain.

You have rock star electrical cabling in your house. I can't get above 65Mb in my house. I wouldn't complain.

I couldn't get past 60 until I extended my PC room circuit into my utility room so that the powerline was all on the same breaker, my house was buIlt in 73 so it's certainly not perfect lol. It's Simple to do for me but I'm an electrician :p

Do those Powerline adapters really have to be in outlets that are on the same leg of the circuit breaker for best usage?

Do those Powerline adapters really have to be in outlets that are on the same leg of the circuit breaker for best usage?

Not all the time but if your after close to 100Mbps speed then it's usually required. Being on a circuit with certain things will slow them down, stuff like motors (ceiling fans, air conditioner ect.) or some small cheap electronics like cell chargers can affect it. Also even just the quality of the wiring in your house and what electrical phase of your panel you have them on as well.

But even with all this it depends on your internet, if you have a 50Mbps or slower package chances are you won't notice the powerline adapters at all and it will work great. Higher than 50 and you should look at running cat5

Cool, good to know. I run ethernet but know a few people who are having problems with their wifi even with great equipment and was considering the Powerline Adapters.

Cool, good to know. I run ethernet but know a few people who are having problems with their wifi even with great equipment and was considering the Powerline Adapters.

They work well. They aren't going to give you gigabit speeds for local usage, but for web browsing or even HD streaming from Netflix or a local server, it's plenty fast. Make sure you buy the latest AV2 stuff.

I like these: http://amzn.com/B00EPGHHSS. (My speeds are no way indicative of their quality. That depends on your home wiring.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
run the cable! you won't regret it!

I had a similar situation and I ended up digging a trench to connect a guest house to the main house.

plus side I get a free outlet.

never have to worry about it again.

Why didn't anyone make the suggestion to go from 110v to 220v? It should be 100% faster! :p

j/k

Back