Tips on reducing 2690 Input Lag

jimmy43

n00b
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
41
Hey everyone, I just got my 2690 and its fantastic. My only slight annoyance has been the input lag. I find it fine in windows, fps and rts's are a bit hard to play.

I just ran into this article though:

http://xtknight.axspace.com/lcd26/page7.htm

Which basicaly shows you that turning overdrive ON actualy reduces input lag.

There, it says that on average it is reduced by 4ms, which seems like not a big deal.

If you take a closer look at the graphs and adjust for percentages you get the following:

Frames Delayed
----------------
OD OFF
1: 1 = 8%
2: 4 = 34%
3: 6 = 50%
4: 1 = 8%

OD ON
1: 1 = 5%
2: 11 = 58%
3: 6 = 32%
4: 1 = 5%

(Disclaimer, I realize that the sample size is rather small here if anyone wants to collect a larger sample size that would be nicer to work with)

Notice that before, more than half the time the lag would be in the 3 frames boundry, which is something like 45ms, while with it on, most of the time you will have only 2 frames delay which is far more reasonable.

I found this to make quite a substantial differnce in games as well as in movies.
Overdrive also helps with response time!

Turn on those overdrives!

If anyone else has some other tips on reducing input lag post em here!:D
 
Those results are not accurate. I know for a fact that the 2690 has no more than two frames of lag. If the results were accurate, there should never be a three or four frame difference. I also know for a fact that the 20WMGX2 has less than one frame of lag, not 16-32 ms.

Monitors lag behind by a constant amount. If the results aren't consistent, then the test is not accurate enough, or the monitor is doing something weird. Any test that relies on averages is only good enough for getting an estimate. The results will vary depending on where the monitors were updating when the shots were taken. Not using a splitter also skews the results, as each monitor is not guaranteed to get the same signal at the same time.

I've found that enabling overdrive makes no significant difference in terms of lag and very little difference in terms of response time. There shouldn't be a substantial difference. There's no way to reduce the lag in the monitor.
 
Considering I know of no way to turn off the overdrive on the 20WGMX2, why would they include it in this comparison? Toasty, is there a way?

Unless NECs overdirve option also disables some other processing to compensate, it should not decrease input lag. All overdrive is, is overvolting the pixels to help them respond faster, just like increasing voltage when overclocking your CPU helps the transistors switch faster.
 
Back
Top