• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tips on OCin welcome

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
1,464
Ive taken to overclocking my CPU a bit as the new HSF is working wonders. I noticed in the bios that default for my XPS 630i is set to 1.325 Vcore (seems a little high). I leave that voltage setting and bump it up to 293 fsb, where I am at currently. I however cant seem to post 300fsb. The temps at 293 are fantastic (idle an average of 22 across the board) and loaded (prime95) I am seeing temps on average of 39. Im using realtemp for my temps and am pretty impressed with how cool it is staying. However, im not sure if i feel comfortable with bumping my vcore on the 650i much higher than what it already is. the VTT is at 1.20, and ive taken note that the voltage increase in large increments (.5 each time, also high). Seeing as my temps are running pretty cool, yet my starting voltage is pretty high, what would you all recommend I do.

Im running a XPS 630i

650i chipset
q6600 G0
4 gigs 800 6-6-6-18

Thanks to all ahead of time
 
Have you taken a look at your ram divider and volts for ram? It's possible that you're running the ram out of spec and without enough voltage. Also, the chipset's supports only up to 1066 MHz FSB--with a FSB of 300x4 (1200) it may also be too high for the board at stock VTT and should be increased.
 
That is what i thought, I tried something and dropped the voltage down to 1.20 instead of 1.35 and its running at 298. What Im confused about is how at 1.35 I cannot post at 300, yet i can drop my vcore to 1.20 and it will runn 298, very strange indead. My sustained temps are 33C under full load. Give that a thought and lemme know what you think
 
also, if it helps, I have the ram set to unlinked at 800mhz stock timings. Whenever I would set it to linked, and tried to run in 1:1, it would beep code on me and I would have to reset Cmos. Any clues here?
 
Just a guess here but linking fsb/ram speed would drastically underclock your ram sticks and yet forcing them to run at same voltage. Basically your ram couldn't take it so if you're to do that in the future lower your vram.
 
Actually, linking the ram would take it out of the equation. Running it at less than spec with those timings (6-6-6-18) at any voltage higher than 1.8 won't cause instability. Unless, it's OCZ Plantinum, which doesn't like to run at anything but it's rated timings.

Try giving your FSB and NB a bump in voltage, bring the vCore back to like 1.3 and try setting the FSB to 300 again. Leave the ram unlinked.

If the 650's are anything like the 680's you might be S.O.L. on OC'ing that quad.
 
So, something quite weird is happening and hopefully someone could offer an explanation for me. As you know I am having issues booting past 300 (1200) no matter what my voltage, Ive upped the voltage slightly on the NB, Vcore, and VTT in attempts to make it to 300. However, Ive lowered all of those voltages (vcore 1.25, VTT, 1.20, nb 1.25) and booted at 1199(299.75), and even at those lower than stock voltages, it boots with no hit with temps in the teens on idle, and under loads 31 on average!. So the 650i is rated for 1066 fsb and 300x9 (1200), Is there no way to get over that hump reguardless of voltages as, at lower than stock voltages boot 1199 perfectly? Ive read of people overclocking these higher but am confused at this point on how the overcomed the 1200 hump
 
Reloaded defaults in bios and the VTT is 1.40 default (cannot change it any higher), so Im leaving it alone this time and bumping Vcore up a bit and also the chipset up to 1.35. We will see what happens, temps are still looking good (im worried more about the board than the processor, This fan is keeping things chilly). Going to try to break the boundary
 
Update on my endeavor to OC, I broke the 300 wall and continued up to 356.

The things that I am concerned about however are my voltages and temps.

at 3.2ghz I ran OCCT and passed the test at the following specs

Vcore 1.45 (little high, but the mobo changes voltage by .5 at a time, 1.4 was not enough, 1.45 passed)
VTT 1.40
Ram 2.0 5-5-5-15
NB- 1.35

Max temp recorded via Realtemp was 61C. Im worried however that the Vcore is high enough to damage the processor over time. I know that temp is reasonable as most like to keep it below 65.

So, would you folks suggest lowering my voltages, and running at a slower FSB or doe this seem like a relatively safe setting. If so I intend to run prime95 for 24hours to verify stability.

Thank you for your input
 
The Q6600 has a 1.5v limit. 1.45 won't hurt the chip at all. And you're realistically probably looking at 1.4v after vdroop anyways. Don't sweat it.

I'd leave it at 3.2 Though you might be able to squeeze it up to 3.3 without changing anything. Give it a shot at least. LOL You came this far. Just keep your temps under 70c and you'll be fine.
 
Back
Top