• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tips on lapping a cpu w/ pins?

Simpson5774

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
2,937
Okay, I just got me a lapping kit from SVC, plan on lapping my ultra 90, ive lapped cpu heatsinks before w/o problems, I am not worried about that, But I want to try to lap my cpu, because just looking at its not as flat as it could be.

Now with lapping a cpu heatsink, you use water on the sandpaper, how do you do that with a CPU? and I got 939 pins to worry about not getting f'd up, so its going to be hard to put much pressure down on the cpu.

I would rather try to unlidd the cpu headspreader than lap it before putting it back, but sometime in late 2006 they started sodering the IHS to the core on AM2 processors, my 939 is a week 718, so I have no idea about if it is sodered or not, so I don't want to risk it.
 
You could use a piece of foam and push the pins into it?

This.

Also, you could try just grasping the edges of the CPU. You shouldn't be applying very much pressure anyway, so that method should be sufficient. I'd still do the foam thing, just to make sure the pins are safe.
 
Make sure it is special anti-static foam please. The CPU should have come with some anti-static foam in the packaging if you didn't throw that away.
 
Make sure it is special anti-static foam please. The CPU should have come with some anti-static foam in the packaging if you didn't throw that away.

Yeah I got that, I was kinda lookin at the foam and the pins the other day, seems to me that the foam would be a bit too solid, that it would take a bit too much force, but I didn't try too hard. The foam pads that I got with a socket A semperon mite work better, but I don't know if I threw it out or not.
 
Back
Top