Tips on actually getting a 4090?

Got mine up and running and so far it's worthy of the hype. Games that my 3090 struggled with on max settings (like High on Life) are getting clobbered by this thing. Halo Infinite is actually (finally) running butter smooth. I can't wait to see what it'll do with some of those graphical powerhouse games coming in a few months.

Some notes so far:

1. The 4-cable adapter that mine shipped with absolutely DOES snap-in to the card and it locks in so tight that there's basically no way it's coming out by accident. Not sure if it's a revision 2 or what, but the adapter clearly says "Nvidia" on it and it isn't Gigabyte or Aorus branded. It's pretty pliable, too. Even if it's a tight fit in your case, it can bend in any direction and it won't pop out. On the other hand, Corsair's 1-cable solution is rigid as fuck and it doesn't snap in as well. It's way cleaner and neater, but I can see it potentially coming partially unplugged or some of the wiring popping out of the connector because everything is so damned rigid. I'm not a fan of the Corsair cable so far.

2. I like the Gigabyte "anti-sag" solution. At first I was a little confused how to install it (the instructions aren't the clearest), but it's a pretty elegant solution to this monstrosity.

3. The RGB lights and especially the LCD screen keep coming back on for me when I power things down. The LCD screen might not always have anything on it, but it'll be lit up and gray on every fresh boot. Is there a trick to turning that stuff off forever? With my previous EVGA card, turning the lights off once caused them to never come back.

4. I'm also not really sure how to use the Gigabyte control center OC'ing functionality, either. The curve finder didn't seem to actually show me any ideal values or change anything, unlike Precision X1, it just ran...and that was that? Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Solution: stop buying them. If they're not selling, Nvidia will have no choice but lower the price and make them more available - at least, for a while. But, alas...

Got mine up and running and so far it's worthy of the hype. Games that my 3090 struggled with on max settings (like High on Life) are getting clobbered by this thing. Halo Infinite is actually (finally) running butter smooth. I can't wait to see what it'll do with some of those graphical powerhouse games coming in a few months.

Some notes so far:

1. The 4-cable adapter that mine shipped with absolutely DOES snap-in to the card and it locks in so tight that there's basically no way it's coming out by accident. Not sure if it's a revision 2 or what, but the adapter clearly says "Nvidia" on it and it isn't Gigabyte or Aorus branded. It's pretty pliable, too. Even if it's a tight fit in your case, it can bend in any direction and it won't pop out. On the other hand, Corsair's 1-cable solution is rigid as fuck and it doesn't snap in as well. It's way cleaner and neater, but I can see it potentially coming partially unplugged or some of the wiring popping out of the connector because everything is so damned rigid. I'm not a fan of the Corsair cable so far.

2. I like the Gigabyte "anti-sag" solution. At first I was a little confused how to install it (the instructions aren't the clearest), but it's a pretty elegant solution to this monstrosity.

3. The RGB lights and especially the LCD screen keep coming back on for me when I power things down. The LCD screen might not always have anything on it, but it'll be lit up and gray on every fresh boot. Is there a trick to turning that stuff off forever? With my previous EVGA card, turning the lights off once caused them to never come back.

4. I'm also not really sure how to use the Gigabyte control center OC'ing functionality, either. The curve finder didn't seem to actually show me any ideal values or change anything, unlike Precision X1, it just ran...and that was that? Is there something I'm missing?
3. I haven't figured out how to do it, but Gigabyte's software has always been garbage.

4. See above. I installed their software suite to see if anything has improved on the software side of things in the few years since I've tried it and nothing has changed. I just uninstalled it and went back to Afterburner.

3. I haven't figured out how to do it, but Gigabyte's software has always been garbage.

4. See above. I installed their software suite to see if anything has improved on the software side of things in the few years since I've tried it and nothing has changed. I just uninstalled it and went back to Afterburner.
Agreed. GB software is absolute garbage. I'm glad Afterburner is a thing. The hardware for the GB OC is nice though.

I'm still struggling with that little RGB screen being lit up all the time. I wish there was some kind of hardware trick to disabling it. I'm half tempted to put some black Gorilla tape over it.

EDIT: Am contacting Gigabyte directly about it. I figure that rather than ranting on Reddit, I might as well see if there's an official solution and/or complaint department. It's literally my only complaint since Afterburner seems to work fine for the other stuff.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, my local Microcenter (Denver) had several on the shelf yesterday. They weren't/aren't showing up online, but they have 5-6 of various makes and models.
If you live near a Microcenter store, you might drop in and see what they have.

If I recall correctly from my hunt looking for a 3080, they won't show up on microcenters website until they've been on the shelf more than 1 day. I could be wrong though...

Best way to get a 4090 in my opinion is to keep checking Newegg for 4090s till you see one in stock that you like.
I wasn't even planning on buying one and was just curiously scrolling through Newegg on my lunch break when I saw a MSI 4090 Gaming X card which is the card I would buy if I were to buy one, so on a whim I hit the buy it now button lol
It's in my PC room waiting to be installed later on tonight. Got it for MSRP retail price.

This is a fantastic card. Runs silent and looks beautiful. I got this exact one 2 weeks ago. Price is reasonable also considering the market it's a 4090 for 1700.
I got it as well with the msi bundle. Still waiting on power supply to finish build.

Central Computer here in the SF Bay Area (my local source of HW) is starting to accumulate a number of 4090 models and some are available for online delivery. The place is quite legitimate, I pick up something from their B&M stores almost weekly. Their site always shows qty on hand per store.

https://www.centralcomputer.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=192&q=rtx+4090
damn I really want the zotac amp airo it will look the fanciest in my system haha.

Oh well: I ordered with my business card gives me 2% cash back lmao So should get the shipping fee back. Basically $1749.99 out the door. It ends up being cheaper than buying from zotac. But this one sells out fast everywhere, can never grab one. I didn't want the other models because heard they use small number of power stages and cheaper fans I think and this one is better all around.

Last edited:
I got it as well with the msi bundle. Still waiting on power supply to finish build.
Haha nice bro! What did you get in the bundle? From Newegg? Also, I'm in the same exact position lol I'm waiting for a power supply to finish my build as well. Which power supply did you order? Is it on back order? Where did you buy it from? I orded the Seasonic Vertex 1200 but It's on back order getting a shipment on January 31 but it's not guaranteed that I get one, which sucks. I'm still looking a for a ATX 3.0 PCI E 5 power supply 1200W or higher in case I find one in stock I'll cancel the backordered one from Newegg but I can't find any. Know of any in stock?

Haha nice bro! What did you get in the bundle? From Newegg? Also, I'm in the same exact position lol I'm waiting for a power supply to finish my build as well. Which power supply did you order? Is it on back order? Where did you buy it from? I orded the Seasonic Vertex 1200 but It's on back order getting a shipment on January 31 but it's not guaranteed that I get one, which sucks. I'm still looking a for a ATX 3.0 PCI E 5 power supply 1200W or higher in case I find one in stock I'll cancel the backordered one from Newegg but I can't find any. Know of any in stock?
Got the msi bundle from msi website. Contains the msi z790 carbon motherboard and S360 AIO. I also ordered the Seasonic vertex that is on back ordered.

Bestbuy.com is about to drop! You need to be logged into the website and ready.

JAN24EMOB1 , should work until 2/22/23 for Bestbuy.com purchases for 10% off 1 item. Very nice if buying a new GPU.

BESTBUY: New $1799.99 ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 TUF GAMING https://stockl.ink/yQ9W5Gzp ATC: https://stockl.ink/Exo4X6lO #ad 🚨🚀

Regional: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...ess-4-0-graphics-card/6522334.p?skuId=6522334

More popping up:
BESTBUY: New $1699.99 GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC https://stockl.ink/Xv894Ao6 ATC: https://stockl.ink/40VUGYbq #ad 🚨🚀
AMAZON: New $1679.99 PNY GeForce RTX 4090 XLR8 GAMING OC https://stockl.ink/GkrOhedY ATC: https://stockl.ink/worQL0Sk #ad 🚨🚀

Looking like is all there is. Chinese New Year affects the volume in January and February.

Last edited:
Bestbuy.com is about to drop! You need to be logged into the website and ready.

JAN24EMOB1 , should work until 2/22/23 for Bestbuy.com purchases for 10% off 1 item. Very nice if buying a new GPU.

BESTBUY: New $1799.99 ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 TUF GAMING https://stockl.ink/yQ9W5Gzp ATC: https://stockl.ink/Exo4X6lO #ad 🚨🚀

Regional: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...ess-4-0-graphics-card/6522334.p?skuId=6522334

More popping up:
BESTBUY: New $1699.99 GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC https://stockl.ink/Xv894Ao6 ATC: https://stockl.ink/40VUGYbq #ad 🚨🚀
AMAZON: New $1679.99 PNY GeForce RTX 4090 XLR8 GAMING OC https://stockl.ink/GkrOhedY ATC: https://stockl.ink/worQL0Sk #ad 🚨🚀

Looking like is all there is. Chinese New Year affects the volume in January and February.
I ended up ordering the TUF RTX 4090 OC had some bonus cash back offer with BB ended up giving me almost 200 back. I wanted two HDMI 2.1 the most but could never find it, the base model is basically non existent I think its just there for ASUS marketing to sell the OC model and didn't want to go Strix either.

Was a better deal through BB. Ended up canceling the zotac AMP, love the looks on that but like 2 HDMI 2.1 more. Decisions decisions lol.

Looks like BB has moved on to regional drops and locks everyone else out. The TUF 4090 is still available for me but they do limit you to 1 every 24 hours.

If I recall correctly from my hunt looking for a 3080, they won't show up on microcenters website until they've been on the shelf more than 1 day. I could be wrong though...
It is accurate real-time now. I check my Micro Center every day and stroll in when they have what I need. I am lucky to be within 2 miles of one. 😎

It is accurate real-time now. I check my Micro Center every day and stroll in when they have what I need. I am lucky to be within 2 miles of one. 😎

The Denver store is only showing one model (up from the 0 they were showing), but they definitely have more than that. Might be a store by store thing.

Yeah it's been in stock since 11am, I still see it on my bb page. It could be regional, but still shows available in central US.

So looks like my zotac shipped too before they could cancel it, I thought it was cancelled but central computer shipped it out quick. Might have one to sell here soon lmao. I might fall in love with zotac once I touch it and forget the 2 HDMI ports on tuf. I will just keep my tuf order going for now see if someone here wants it. But might cancel. Shall find out.

I keep staring at the vidoes of zotac amp airo and imagining how good it would look in my system lmao.

Last edited:
So looks like my zotac shipped too before they could cancel it, I thought it was cancelled but central computer shipped it out quick. Might have one to sell here soon lmao. I might fall in love with zotac once I touch it and forget the 2 HDMI ports on tuf. I will just keep my tuf order going for now see if someone here wants it.

I keep staring at the vidoes of zotac amp airo and imagining how good it would look in my system lmao.
What r u gonna use 2 hdmis for coming out of a single 4090?

Can anyone confirm the 10% off BB codes are working? From a few weeks ago, lots of posts on Reddit etc. were saying the Q4FY23SAVE10 stopped working, but with the new code that GoodBoy posted (JAN24EMOB1) it looks like they made a new one. I'm very close to pulling the trigger, and the 10% off would seal the deal. However, I don't have a BB credit card and would need to apply for one. Do you know when I get approved if I will have instant access to using it with the code? Thanks in advance.

What r u gonna use 2 hdmis for coming out of a single 4090?
Not crazy need. May be just my ocd cuz I just like hdmi better for tv connection secondary. I need tLmao. I am probably gonna keep the zotac amp. It just looks too good not to be in my system. Wanted it for a while and its not that super wide either so will go better vertical in my system along side panel.

Can anyone confirm the 10% off BB codes are working? From a few weeks ago, lots of posts on Reddit etc. were saying the Q4FY23SAVE10 stopped working, but with the new code that GoodBoy posted (JAN24EMOB1) it looks like they made a new one. I'm very close to pulling the trigger, and the 10% off would seal the deal. However, I don't have a BB credit card and would need to apply for one. Do you know when I get approved if I will have instant access to using it with the code? Thanks in advance.
it works with card. But I think with new card you also get 10% cash back so you are going to get 160 back as well on first purchase.

Not crazy need. May be just my ocd cuz I just like hdmi better for tv connection secondary. I need tLmao. I am probably gonna keep the zotac amp. It just looks too good not to be in my system. Wanted it for a while and its not that super wide either so will go better vertical in my system along side panel.
Oh I thought you wanted to plug in the Nreal AR glasses, that's what I would use another HDMi port for.

I used it yesterday, card OOS now..

Anyone's bb order get cancelled?

well I tried canceling another order that I coudln't myself and the idoit rep cancelled my tuf. It was still in stock and after that every order I did got automatically canceled lmao. I am in auto order cancellation purgatory. Even its been over 24 hours since the first order, it was in stock just now, tried redoing it got cancelled again lmao.

They got some weird thing going on with their system.

well I tried canceling another order that I coudln't myself and the idoit rep cancelled my tuf. It was still in stock and after that every order I did got automatically canceled lmao. I am in auto order cancellation purgatory. Even its been over 24 hours since the first order, it was in stock just now, tried redoing it got cancelled again lmao.

They got some weird thing going on with their system.
Yeah there seems to be some weirdness going on over there. I am having issues with my new BB credit card. I was supposed to get a $100 new cardmember bonus, it says I was issued 0 in my account even though I have the card and it is activated and I did my obligatory purchase (42" LG C2) over 2 weeks ago. Plus the 10% off coupon they sent me does not work on anything.

Yeah there seems to be some weirdness going on over there. I am having issues with my new BB credit card. I was supposed to get a $100 new cardmember bonus, it says I was issued 0 in my account even though I have the card and it is activated and I did my obligatory purchase (42" LG C2) over 2 weeks ago. Plus the 10% off coupon they sent me does not work on anything.

For a while If I want to buy another 4090 and I already ordered one with in 24 hours. You just cancel and it lets you proceed to checkout and no auto cancellation for a while. I had this issue very early when 4090 launched but they seemed to have fixed that, but happening again. This seems worse cuz its been over 24 hours and auto cancellation purgatory is still going.

BB has lost its shit. They are still canceling my orders for all 4090s lmao. I think my canceled one is in store now locally tried to do instore pickup with coupon, it was canceled immediately lmao. Still in cancel purgatory. Their system thinks I bought one of these even though they are all canceled after the first accidental cancellation by the rep lmao.

BB has lost its shit. They are still canceling my orders for all 4090s lmao. I think my canceled one is in store now locally tried to do instore pickup with coupon, it was canceled immediately lmao. Still in cancel purgatory. Their system thinks I bought one of these even though they are all canceled after the first accidental cancellation by the rep lmao.
Go Instore and see if they can ring you up, if you think the card is actually there. But you can't use the 10% off in store :/

Back