Tips for setting up Windows 7 as Primary OS?

kenprescott21

Limp Gawd
Features to install? Addons? Patches?

How do you guys recommend someone installs Windows 7 to be stable and work just as well as Vista?

I'll be using the Adobe Suite, Crysis, Assasins Creed, WoW, plus Open Office.

Will be running at 4.116G and my cards will be oc'd.

Click the "Send Feedback" button at the top right of every window a lot.

First rule of installing a beta OS:

Stop overclocking, everything. Set everything to stock.

Dismiss this advice at your discretion, but don't post about installation issues if you have 'em because everyone will just point a finger at you and say "That guy told you not to overclock when you install, you can do that later on after you get a stable base OS."

Doesn't matter if the box is Nitrogen cooled at 50 below zero, I could care less, but set everything to stock speeds, and I mean everything until the OS is fully installed, updated, your software is installed, updated, and then if you're smart you'll image it at that point and then start ramping it back up to your so-called stable OC settings.

Aside from that, install it basically like XP or Vista: the OS first, chipset drivers, storage drivers, video, NIC, sound, etc etc... then applications, etc.

'Nuff typed.

First rule of installing a beta OS:

Stop overclocking, everything. Set everything to stock.

Aside from that, install it basically like XP or Vista: the OS first, chipset drivers, storage drivers, video, NIC, sound, etc etc... then applications, etc.

'Nuff typed.

Thank you sir, When I install Win 7, Ill do just that.

Also, I asked before but forgot, for crossfire do I have to install 1 card, drivers, then 2nd card and drivers for it to work 100% now a adays?

Also, is there a way to disable low level driver signing all the time other then f8?

Click the "Send Feedback" button at the top right of every window a lot.

It can be removed thankfully.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...disable-send-feedback-tool-in-windows-7-beta/

Run Registry Editor (RegEdit), and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Add in a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named FeedbackToolEnabled, and then set its value data as 0. Log off and log on again for the change to take effect.

Why are you removing it?!
It's supposed to let you send feedback when things are broken. So you can make W7 a better final OS, they've been paying alot of attention to the feedback and several things I've sent in have been fixed in patches.

He and many others remove it because they're not actually beta testing the OS, but taking advantage of the fact that Microsoft is trying to make a better OS for everyone by asking for input.

They complain about it being too expensive, and problematic, and anything they can think of, but when Microsoft says "hey, here, try this for us, let us know what you think about it and we'll make it better..." the first thing most people do is keep right on bitching, moaning, and whining about things - and take advantage of the privilege Microsoft extends to participate.

It's fucked up, but what can anybody really do. Right?

At the end of the day, Windows is simply the best OS for those who want to do anything with and to their computers.

I would take exception to the reducing the overclock. I hear people say this and to be honest I really don't understand. If you can't install the OS because of an overclock, why would you want to run the OS day in and out with the same overclock? I admit that I don't understand the technical reasons well but my sig rig was installed with the the CPU overclocked and ten months later no problems.

Since this is a beta OS, why not? Give it a kick in the gonads. 7 SHOULD NOT be the only OS on a machine that you need. Period. You should at least have a separate physical drive with a production OS on it and be able to swap over at a moments notice. You should also have all important data backed up so that it can be used on a fall back machine.

Just my two cents worth.

He and many others remove it because they're not actually beta testing the OS, but taking advantage of the fact that Microsoft is trying to make a better OS for everyone by asking for input.?
I actually removed it because I haven't encountered anything worthy of sending feedback on in over a month. :)

He and many others remove it because they're not actually beta testing the OS, but taking advantage of the fact that Microsoft is trying to make a better OS for everyone by asking for input.

They complain about it being too expensive, and problematic, and anything they can think of, but when Microsoft says "hey, here, try this for us, let us know what you think about it and we'll make it better..." the first thing most people do is keep right on bitching, moaning, and whining about things - and take advantage of the privilege Microsoft extends to participate.

It's fucked up, but what can anybody really do. Right?

Yeah, not cool. I've been sending feedback a lot, whether it's a program/driver issue or simply something I think they could do better.

Back