Tips for a beginner?

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
In July i will be going to DeVry for Computer Information Systems. I was told that a little background in networking would help some of the pieces fit together.

Now combined with that and my curosity i'd like to ask what you would suggest to start someone off in networking?

What I mean is where do I start?!?

Get a job at a computer consulting firm that does onsite small business network installs/support...there are kajillions of them around these days...HUGE in demand. Very big growing field. "Hands On" training starting at the bottom is the best thing you can do....period!

Get a job at a computer consulting firm that does onsite small business network installs/support...there are kajillions of them around these days...HUGE in demand. Very big growing field. "Hands On" training starting at the bottom is the best thing you can do....period!

how do you go about getting into a job like that?

how do you go about getting into a job like that?

There are lots and lots of computer consulting firms around....hit up the yellow pages to find them in your area, or you may know of some from driving around. Off the top of my head I can walk to 3 close to my office..and drive to at least 3x more within a 10 minute drive. It's an absolutely exploading field..big in demand. Every type of office/small business that you drive by....needs/runs on computers. Law firms, dentist offices, small schools, accounting firms, various sales, various non profits, real estate, ...literally all types of offices. Sit for a minute and think of how many small businesses there are out there as you drive through town....it's HUGE. It's like the biggest market out there. Businesses that have networks from 2-3 computers...to around 50-75-100 computers..they need someone to support them. Get up much past 75 or so computers..and the company is big enough to have their own IT staff.

These places are often hiring...but often don't advertise because they hire from work of mouth, or from the pile of resumes that constantly flows into them. Gotta just walk in and make yourself known...or get to know someone that works at one. Get your foot in the door..even if it's just doing break/fixit work at a service counter...but at least your foot is in the door. That's how I got started. Basic break/fixit...within a few months...was working with a senior engineer of a few of his larger projects..including a wide area network school system through a big town.

Back