• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tip for DFI/ Pal-8045 Combo

CSx-2011

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Messages
1,375
I have a Lan Party and barton 2500 at 2.2ghz. I switched from a zalman 7000a-alcu to an alpha pal-8045. At first I was dissapointed with the temps becuase they were a little bit higher than the zalman.

To solve this I placed 50mm fan above the mosfets sucking air away from them. This dropped the cpu temps a few degrees. Next I placed a small gamma 28 blower blowing into the opposite side of the hs, another few degrees temp reduction.

I was told this combo would yield poor performance based on the location of the caps and mosfets. Now I idle at 30-31C and load about 36C, down from 33-34 and 38C load with the zalman. This is all with a cheap top motor 80mm fan sucking air out of the hs.

Can't wait until my tornado comes.
 
you'll like the tornado... as long as i have my temp sensors correctly configured in mbm5 on my asus (got the config off the website for mbm5) my 2100+ paly @ 1900mhz/1.85 vcore (voltmod time methinks) is sitting pretty at 1C below ambient idle/5C (or 3, i forget) over ambient load. and this is with the fan turned all the way down on my thermaltake hardcane, reading from the CPU Die sensor. life is good. (and i'm getting watercooled soon... fun stuff)

though you may want hearing protection as well, them things is loud.
 
The tornado is mostly for novelty. And I have a fan controller as well. I got it incase I ever got a tornado. :D
 
i got 25.5 idle and 26 load with my tornado and pal 8045 lapped to perfection
 
Nice temps blindviper, I may have to lap mine then. What thermal grease are you using? Mine is on some old alpha white paste I had lying around.

My tornado just got here. With the tornado at 2800rpm (pretty quiet actually) it idles at 29 with the above combo (gamma 28 and 50mm fan on mosfets) and load temp is 33.

Pretty amazing, my load temp is now what my idle temp was with the zalman. Just a tiny bit noisier.
 
This thing is awesome. Running at 2411 1.95v with load temps lower than the zalman at 2200 1.75v. (36c!!!!)

I just hope it keeps going in prime 95. Made it through the first cycle so far.

Edit: Damn, it stoped after 34 minutes. Maybe a tad lower.
 
i was using as 3 this was some time ago before i went to watercooling
pal1.JPG

pal2.JPG
 
Nice lap job. May have to get me some wet.dry sandpaper and get to work! What grits did you use?

I think I'm getting an unlocked chip soon. So hopefully I can get to 2400 or 2500 stable.
 
Back
Top