Tiny 5.1 receiver?

Grin

n00b
I currently have a full sized receiver and speakers set up for 5.1. My wife doesn't like to see the receiver, so I need to find another solution. She's fine with the speakers and sub however.

I've looked at the "slim" receivers, but they are just shorter, and I particularly need something less deep.

I'm planning on switching my devices through the tv, so the receiver only needs an optical input and the ability to split the channels before application. You'd think it would be simple...

Any ideas for a tiny 5.1 solution?

Thank you!

Tell the wife to look the other way or go watch her shit on another TV? Wow, what some guys put up with...

Well, when you turn off WoW some day, you'll get married and understand.

best advice i can give you is if you live in a house or condo that you own to move the AV gear in to a closet or other room and use an RF activity based remotes...

WAF is high on my end with this solution.

Not much help on your actual question... and Xinmosni no one really likes the look of an AV receiver... they are huge black boxes with a ton of lights......

I'm curious why she cares so much. Post a picture of the offending setup.

Second hiding the receiver, you could also get a cabinet where it is hidden inside and run ir extenders to it and even other components. I think the Logitech Harmony has a kit that makes it pretty easy, assuming you can find a cabinet or something you and your wife agree on. On thing you may need to do is add some fans so that your stuff does not overheat.

If all of that is a no go, Sony makes a HDMI switching sound bar you could mount to a wall and might look a lot less intrusive?

There are some that are less deep but there usually lower end models. I had to hunt one down for a customer of mine because heaven forbid I couldn't put it on there custom 20k cabinets lol Post a picture of your setup so we can look at what were dealing with.. All my stuff is in a rack down stairs so only thing any one see's is the tv on the wall. You can get a IR eye off mono price for a few bucks and extended it with ethernet cable. So you can hide it all some where else..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886928001

Sherwood has a very compact receiver there. It's about 11 inches deep compared to the Marantz's 15 and 1/2. That said, I'd go Marantz any day of the week for everything except size.

My advice? Show your wife a picture of this monster, and she'll probably very happy about compromising with a slim line marantz or other option.

I actually have the Marantz 1604, it's about 1" less deep than the 1605 (~14.5" instead of 15.5"), if that makes a difference (no BT or wifi, otherwise, it appears the same as the 1605). Overall about 2.5" deeper than the Sherwood, similar width and about 1.5" taller. Nice find on the sherwood - that's got to be about as small as it gets.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886928001

Sherwood has a very compact receiver there. It's about 11 inches deep compared to the Marantz's 15 and 1/2. That said, I'd go Marantz any day of the week for everything except size.

My advice? Show your wife a picture of this monster, and she'll probably very happy about compromising with a slim line marantz or other option.

I like the specs

BLUE LEDS
Blinding blue LEDs illuminate from the front, highlighting manual controls for power, standby, audio and video inputs, surround sound and stereo modes, and volume.

If this is true OP is going to be sleeping outside the same night he brings this home.

Not much help on your actual question... and Xinmosni no one really likes the look of an AV receiver... they are huge black boxes with a ton of lights......

I love the look of a high end reciever.

I love the look of an amp rack even more.

I like the specs

BLUE LEDS
Blinding blue LEDs illuminate from the front, highlighting manual controls for power, standby, audio and video inputs, surround sound and stereo modes, and volume.

lol. I didn't see that when I posted it. It's pretty humorous they'd state 'blinding LEDs' as feature.

If the LED lights are the problem, buy yourself a pack of lightdims (google it). Its 6.98 for a pack of blackout stickers that come in several shapes to match LED sizes.

Its totally worth it. I just got my pack in the mail today and went crazy with them.

Buy a fresnel lens sheet and place it in reverse in front of your existing receiver so it makes it look smaller.

Ask her what size she would like best and vary the distance to suit.

If the LED lights are the problem, buy yourself a pack of lightdims (google it). Its 6.98 for a pack of blackout stickers that come in several shapes to match LED sizes.

Its totally worth it. I just got my pack in the mail today and went crazy with them.

Wow.. what a scam, looks like nothing more than black electrical tape cut into shapes.

run to a hardware store and just buy a roll, it'll have a similar effect.

Back