Tinker WUs - You may temporarily get them

ChelseaOilman

[H]ard|Gawd
Vijay posted this:
At the moment there are fewer Gro WUs to go around than in the past due to some Gro projects ending. New Gro projects should be starting up pretty soon -- this is temporary.

Also, please keep in mind:

Points-wise: Keep in mind that this affects everyone, so you're not falling behind.

Science-wise: the Tinkers are critical for us to complete our work. We've had some interesting results and we need to complete them.

Thanks,

Vijay
http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=7117

ChelseaOilman
400000.gif

Yup, have a few and chewy little buggers they are indeed:D

BillR

Originally posted by BillR
Yup, have a few... and chewy little buggers they are indeed:D

BillR

No sh!t. :) I'm glad they haven't found their way, yet, to my slow machines. Damn. I'm glad the puters don't have jaws cuz these suckers would just plain wear 'em out.

Fold On!
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif

Actually there are several problems besides point values - although I think my machines could live on a steady diet of 257's :)

It seems Stanford preaches "use spare cycles" and then also "run your machines 24/7/365" for an extra $6/month.
Well my 5 home CPU's might not have that many "spare cycles" if I did not run them 24/7.
Also a lot of businesses mandate machines being turned OFF.
Well if a machine gets turned off after 8 hours it will interrupt that WU. If the frame times are very long a lot of processing may be lost easily.
So if you've a machine that takes 1 hour per frame on an extremely crunchy WU you may only be getting 7 frames a day done. Take out weekends (104 days), vacation days (I get 26 days) and holidays (10 days) and you might only get 225 days or 1,575 frames - which would equate to about 4 WU.

I run 4 processes on my Dual Xeon 2.8 w/ HT... all 4 processes have just started trying to chew their way through Tinker WUs...

Chewy little buggers :p

Back