Timings vs. Speed

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
2FA
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
13,389
Okay, I used to understand memory timings vs speed. Dunno what happened. Can someone explain to me which of these would be better? (Just made up timing numbers) I've got a gig (2x512) of OCZ El Plat Rev. 2, which I bought way back in the day, and I'm currently running on a divider, which makes my ram operate at 187Mhz (I think it is). What tools would I use to test for myself which is faster?

1:1 289Mhz at 3-4-4-8 (Or whatever nasty timings these sticks would run at)
4:5 231Mhz at 2.5-3-3-6
3:4 216Mhz at 2-3-2-7
2:3 193Mhz at 2-2-2-5

Yeah. Actually, I can't remember what the REAL dividers were, so I put in what I THINK I remember them being - If my board/chip doesn't do 4:5 divider, for example, well... It's listed in the BIOS as being 200/266/333/400... So forgive me if I get them wrong.

Long story short, Timings vs. Memory. Which matters more, and how do you test it? It seems to me to be more of one of those "Which matters more in X situation" things. Latency vs. Bandwidth... Rig's in Sig.
 
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
289 3-3-3-8 should be the best choice to go with. as all the others are WAY behind.

not an option:

TeeJayHoward said:
1:1 289Mhz at 3-4-4-8 (Or whatever nasty timings these sticks would run at)
4:5 231Mhz at 2.5-3-3-6
3:4 216Mhz at 2-3-2-7
2:3 193Mhz at 2-2-2-5
 
why are you running at those timings/speeds anyway? even the new tcc5 sticks do 2.5-3-3-7 up to 265ish?
 
TeeJayHoward said:
Can someone explain to me which of these would be better? (Just made up timing numbers)

That's why. I don't know what timings they'll actually run, and I work today, so I can't figure it out. Assuming that these are the correct timings...
 
plat rev.2 is probably TCCD or TCC5, so it can probably do 300 2.5-4-4-10. and the lowest latency, while retaining legit bandwidth is the way to go as far as speed on A64. you hafta use like everest to test this out.
 
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
the lowest latency, while retaining legit bandwidth is the way to go as far as speed on A64. you hafta use like everest to test this out.

So which is more important, latency or bandwidth? What am I looking for in everest, sub 40ns latency or >7000MB/s bandwidth?
 
probably 7000mb < bandwidth. if you cna get like 6500mb < bandwidth and 40ns > latency, then your golden.
 
TeeJayHoward said:
So which is more important, latency or bandwidth? What am I looking for in everest, sub 40ns latency or >7000MB/s bandwidth?

dont think bandwith is only based on Mhz...both Mhz and Latency directly contribute to "bandwith"

You shoudl be askign what make more bandwith, lower Mhz with lower timings, or higher timings with high Mhz..
 
I(illa Bee said:
dont think bandwith is only based on Mhz...both Mhz and Latency directly contribute to "bandwith"

You shoudl be askign what make more bandwith, lower Mhz with lower timings, or higher timings with high Mhz..

Yes, we've all seen what 2T does to bandwidth, especially for you, I(illa ;)
 
Back
Top