TimeWarner/Comcast vs Charter newsgroups

SBSuperfly

Gawd
Like many people, I use NewsLeecher to download content from newsgroups. When I had TimeWarner cable (now Comcast), I could download headers @ 600kbytes/sec and download content @ about 450kbytes/sec +/-. With Charter I can download group headers at 350kbytes/sec and download content at a crappy 22kbytes/sec. Both internet services are 3Mbit, so why the disparity? Does Charter cap my rates? This is killing me because what used to take a couple hours to download now takes days.

I download at 1.20Mb/s they probably are recently i had to open up more ports to retain that speed the other day i wasnt even passing 800kb i love newsgroup though downloaded about 300gbs of hd movies in a couple days and i still browse the web online unlike torrent.

I spoke with someone with Charter via "live chat." She claimed it was not capped. Then later claimed the download speed for newsgroups is 128kbps. Basically, she made no sense. 22Kb/s is terribly unacceptable.

Its all about the news server. the speed at which they are set up. the retention rates and how much traffic they are supporting.

Time warner news servers are a joke so noone really uses them. never used comcast so i cant say for sure. I have also used verizons and they rock. its all depedent on the ISP and how they they have their news servers set up...

It sounds like they do cap your rates. I've used newshosting in the past and am currently using usenetserver for my newsgroup needs. Paying 15 bucks a month for unlimited uncapped downloads is worth it to me.

Back