Timeline on various new H/W components

conscript

2[H]4U
Ok, so I sold my old rig, and right now am currently regulated to my D600 lappy, which my compnay saw fit to get retrofitted with only a 16mb ati mobility card versus the standard 32. Regardless, not enough to play Ut2K4 or Farcry, much less the upcoming HL2 and D3. So I'm planning on building a new rig. I'd like to keep the total cost to below $2000, but it's just a guidline, not a rule(not including the 2001FP I'm going to buy too). Now my dilema...

Mobo: I am 90% leaning towards another AMD rig. When are 939 sockets and/or PCI-E coming out. Will they be at the same time?

Case: BTX at all in the same time frame as the above? I don't care about an ATX case as long as it will house a PCI-E mobo, but I've read that they will come at the same time. True or False?

Vid Card: I assume after an AGP version of the X800 XT, that will be it for AGP from ATI, or close to it. Any idea how much further down the road r423 is?

So basically what I'm saying is any best guesses in what time frame I'd be able to purchase the following:

A64 939 w/mobo
PCI-E vid card
BTX case (if necessary)

I know that most of this is all thoeretical, but I've searched here, anand, rage, oc'ers, and really can't find any good read on the above. If you know any links I'm missing that I can read up on, it would be appreciated. Thanks / G

BTX is like due in a few years ... its going to be a slow conversion because, the beauty of it, is that you will not be able to use standard PSUs with it. Fun ay.
Anyway I guess about winter time is when you are going to see all the PCI-E fun !

A64/Socket 939 should be out next month.

PCI-express should start trickling in in summer, with wider support later in the year and probably next year.

BTX - not for a while, 1 or 2 years might be when it becomes the standard form factor. ATX is not going anywhere for the forseeable future.

yeah we are still going to see ATX.. itsnot gonna die yet ... those who buy new case/psu/mobo will convert but for rest of us its just easier to stick with someonething that has worked for as for a while

Back