Time to upgrade

brooks

n00b
I’ve been reading posts the past few days but I’m still undecided (confused) on which monitor I want. Maybe you guys can help me.

• Use
-Gaming 50% - want fast response and low lag…. 3D might be cool (maybe)
-Workstation 50% - I use programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D modeling programs
• My budget is $500 to $800
• 24” is big enough but I might consider larger

I’m thinking I need a 1920X1200 IPS

TFT Selector is a good place to start. You can put in your general price ranges (have to convert, and say what you plan to do with it. The author makes it pretty easy to do that.

If you are not overly concerned about being perfect, the Dell Ultrasharp monitors seem to work for a lot of people. Now going for $529 if you happen to be canadian. Seems to fit your bill pretty good. Depends on how picky you or your eyes are with gaming. IPS is not perfect, and not the best for gaming. Good though - a lot of people will say.

I suspect they will all get cheaper in the coming months.

Otherwise the ones talked about are from Dell or HP generally. There are better but they cost more.

I started looking a month back or so, and I was almost disappointed that the best option was to wait. 3D tech without glasses is just starting to come out mainstream, meaning it will be a while before good 3D will happen. IPS panels are getting there, but still can't make the jump to be great gaming monitors.

120 hz monitors are the in thing regarding gaming, however they are TN panels at the moment, meaning not all the best if your job includes photoshopping and/or illustrating.

Find the balance, but right now there are not many all-round monitors. The tech is just going too slow atm.

Gaming and Design (Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D modeling programs) usually don't go together... Cause IPS has slower response times, but it depends on what games you play... 3D def. doesn't come with IPS

I have had an HP ZR24w for 6-7 mo. now and I am very pleased with it. I play a fair amount of games and I do not notice any ghosting, neither with watching video. The color and brightness is consistent from edge to edge. Heck with a budget of $800 you could get two...

Back