• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Time to upgrade or wait still?

Jasheon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
165
I currently have a HP ZR24w that I purchased a few years ago and haven't really kept up with monitors since I purchased this one. Kinda have the itch to upgrade my monitor, the only thing that really bothers me is the black levels, they are kind of dull.

I would really love an IPS 120hz monitor but I don't think those are reasonable priced nor are they mainstream yet.

Are there any IPS monitors out right now that are a considerable upgrade over the one i have now? I mostly game....

Thx
 
I currently have a HP ZR24w that I purchased a few years ago and haven't really kept up with monitors since I purchased this one. Kinda have the itch to upgrade my monitor, the only thing that really bothers me is the black levels, they are kind of dull.

I would really love an IPS 120hz monitor but I don't think those are reasonable priced nor are they mainstream yet.

Are there any IPS monitors out right now that are a considerable upgrade over the one i have now? I mostly game....

Thx

I'm in a similar situation with a Dell 2407 and I've been wanting to upgrade but underwhelmed at the slow progression of monitor tech.

I'm hoping the next year or 2 sees some changes that get me excited enough to spend the money.
 
The ZR24W was mediocre (450:1 contrast ratio+aggressive AG coating), there are many better monitors now like the U2412 if the user is fine with aggressive AG. If not there are plenty of 1080p and 2560x1440 IPS/PLS with better performance and lighter matte coatings.

The 2407 is a wide gamut S-PVA with poor blacks for an S-PVA panel, a poor sRGB mode and inaccurate color presets, it won't be hard to find something better unless the user prefers vibrant, but inaccurate wide gamut colors and can't stand IPS glow
 
I'd wait. It's the wild west right now as far as quality control is concerned. Odds are you'll likely have to go through several replacements of whatever model you do choose to get one that doesn't have any glaring defects.
 
I'd wait. It's the wild west right now as far as quality control is concerned. Odds are you'll likely have to go through several replacements of whatever model you do choose to get one that doesn't have any glaring defects.

I don't expect that to change anytime in the near future ... or ever. Manufacturers will skimp on quality control if it means they make more profit in the end. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor as to getting a new monitor or not.
 
I currently have a HP ZR24w that I purchased a few years ago and haven't really kept up with monitors since I purchased this one. Kinda have the itch to upgrade my monitor, the only thing that really bothers me is the black levels, they are kind of dull.

I would really love an IPS 120hz monitor but I don't think those are reasonable priced nor are they mainstream yet.

Are there any IPS monitors out right now that are a considerable upgrade over the one i have now? I mostly game....

Thx


there are no ips 120hz monitors at this time that im aware of, the hpzr30w is quite similar to your 24 inch hp, gaming on the 30 inch is just fine, no different than your 24 except higher resolution, thats what I am using and love it. an nvidia 660ti or 670 card, radeon 7950 or higher will work just fine for the HP30 inch.
 
The ZR24W was mediocre (450:1 contrast ratio+aggressive AG coating), there are many better monitors now like the U2412 if the user is fine with aggressive AG. If not there are plenty of 1080p and 2560x1440 IPS/PLS with better performance and lighter matte coatings.

The 2407 is a wide gamut S-PVA with poor blacks for an S-PVA panel, a poor sRGB mode and inaccurate color presets, it won't be hard to find something better unless the user prefers vibrant, but inaccurate wide gamut colors and can't stand IPS glow

I know there are better monitors, but I'm looking for a major step forward, specifically 120Hz monitors with some other coming technologies.
 
If I didn't already have a 2412M I'd consider a U2713HM, with the one big improvement being less aggressive AG coatings, though I must say I've gotten used to the coating on this one and it looks damn good calibrated. Rich colors and vibrant. Plus it's 16:10. The coating was much more evident out of the box, before calibration.

Plus the new one I'd buy would still have IPS glow, could have light bleeding, and there are reports of buzzing and image retention too. I'll pass until something major improves the image quality, or the price on that Dell gets closer to the $500 level. It hits $550 on the Australian site, which can usually be price matched to $600, which would be great if I didn't already have a U2412M.. but meh.. font size and pixel density at least for me at 1920x1200, 24 inches, seems to be about the sweet spot to me.
 
Last edited:
I'd go for a 1600p resolution. 120hz is probably better for gaming, but the experience of a 30" monitor, there's nothing like it. The Dell U3011 would be my pick, and they're set to go down in price soon.
 
Back
Top