Time to upgrade my HD555's. E9+E7/HD600

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Currently my HD555's are running straight out of my motherboard (it is a newer motherboard though) and I'm looking at how to go about the upgrade process, order of purchasing etc so that I don't just shell out $500 all at once.

I don't need portability, but what I do need is a desktop amp and probably a DAC. I was thinking of first purchasing a fiio E9, then an E7 (maybe simultaneously), and THEN upgrading my phones. Of which I was looking at the HD600's.

Is this my best upgrade order? There will be a pretty good gap in time between the main purchases. Looking to buy something now, be it amp/dac or phones, and maybe the other item for christmas.

Should I look at other options? I mostly use my headphones for gaming and music, and haven't started converting my audiofiles to a higher quality yet.

Well I'm already looking at 500$ but it is over the course of 3-4 months, so I guess we can go a bit higher. I want to stay under 1000 for sure, and I'm not an audiophile by any means. 500 is already pretty high, but spread out is not too bad. All I know is that when I went from my speakers and old crappy headset to my sennheiser hd555's it was a world of difference, like a new door opened. And knowing I am still on the low end of things, I want to get that appreciation again in my next purchase while not going overboard since I'm not even lossless yet.

Like I said, mostly for gaming. Music is second. In fact I still have speakers hooked up through a cheap usb dac now so that I can have 2 audio sources at once (game through speakers while music through phones, vise versa).

People have told me in the past to actually change the cans first and then the gear.

It sounds like you're wanting to move on from the 555s no matter what so I'd say get the 600s first and see what they do for you and then if you're satisfied you've got that covered otherwise a lot of places you can buy them from let you return or exchange within 30 days. No fuss, no muss. ;)

Equipment: An amp and DAC gives you a lot more flexibility and you can attach other gear besides just the computer into them for the benefits. Is that what you're looking to do?

If NOT...if ALL you're using and working off is one piece of equipment (your PC) and nothing else then it might be worth considering an upgrade to a nice dedicated soundcard from the likes of Creative or Auzentech.

If you go Creative, look at the X-Fi line. You'll want X-fi and EAX as a gamer. You'll appreciate them. Auzentech is the route the music first folks tend to learn more towards. Worth looking at though.

A quality soundcard like that and the 600s = you kicking a lot of ass real fast and easily staying well within your budget.

The DAC and the amp can come down the road later if you still need more. ;)

People have told me in the past to actually change the cans first and then the gear.

It sounds like you're wanting to move on from the 555s no matter what so I'd say get the 600s first and see what they do for you and then if you're satisfied you've got that covered otherwise a lot of places you can buy them from let you return or exchange within 30 days. No fuss, no muss. ;)

Equipment: An amp and DAC gives you a lot more flexibility and you can attach other gear besides just the computer into them for the benefits. Is that what you're looking to do?

If NOT...if ALL you're using and working off is one piece of equipment (your PC) and nothing else then it might be worth considering an upgrade to a nice dedicated soundcard from the likes of Creative or Auzentech.

If you go Creative, look at the X-Fi line. You'll want X-fi and EAX as a gamer. You'll appreciate them. Auzentech is the route the music first folks tend to learn more towards. Worth looking at though.

A quality soundcard like that and the 600s = you kicking a lot of ass real fast and easily staying well within your budget.

The DAC and the amp can come down the road later if you still need more. ;)

The 600s pretty much need an amp =)

An external DAC isn't all that great for games - have you thought about something like the Asus Essence STX? It has a dedicated headphone amp that'll drive the HD600s when you get them, and it offers excellent sound quality for both games and music. Gives you more flexibility than the DAC/amp combo (although that'll probably sound better for music). Amping the HD555s (with the Essence) might also make them sound a little better for you as well - I know it did for mine.

I did look at the xonar but its out of stock as well as running $175 and taking up some room in my case, which made me more interested in the E9, especially paired with an E7.

Back