• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

time to up the NB voltage?

ann0yanc3

Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Messages
515
my E8400 runs rock solid at 3.6 (1.3V in BIOS), but i can't seem to get anything really stable beyond that. i set my voltage as high as 1.3875, that's when my USB devices stopped working and i got a blue screen.

have i reached a dead end on the cpu voltage, and need to up the NB voltage?
 
Probably NB/RAM. My E3110 (rebranded E8400) won't go above 3.6 on just vcore alone.
 
Upping the NB voltage could help. The VTT voltage can also have an effect.
 
Yeah definitely try upping the NB voltage. Just .1v makes a difference with my P5QC board.
 
what is an average temp for the north bridge?

i'm currently idling at 70C. is that normal?
 
Well hold on...whats your NB voltages? I mean that is insanely hot for your northbridge to get...like insanely hot. I was running a pretty high northbridge voltage for awhile (1.45) and my northbridge would idle around 35-37*....now that's half of what you're idling at. I do have heatpipe cooling on my motherboard and so do you. I would consider 70c idle an definite EXTREME. It could be that the heatsink isn't properly mounted on the northbridge. You should double check because I don't think I could make my northbridge that hot even if i tried.
 
Well hold on...whats your NB voltages? I mean that is insanely hot for your northbridge to get...like insanely hot. I was running a pretty high northbridge voltage for awhile (1.45) and my northbridge would idle around 35-37*....now that's half of what you're idling at. I do have heatpipe cooling on my motherboard and so do you. I would consider 70c idle an definite EXTREME. It could be that the heatsink isn't properly mounted on the northbridge. You should double check because I don't think I could make my northbridge that hot even if i tried.

Hmm, yea, just using stock heatsink. I think the NB voltage is at default (Auto) in the BIOS. If I remember correctly, I think it was set to 1.62V or something like that. I'll have to check again when I get home.
 
At 1.62v you'd have a fried NB. I doubt it's that high.

Like Juggafat said you should remount the NB cooler. It might have bad contact.
 
I think the suggested voltage for your NB is no more than 1.5 to stay on the safe side.
 
Every new mobo I get I rip off the stock cooling and either lap it all and apply some MX-2 or, if it all looks good, just apply some MX-2. The ASUS boards I have had recently have had some attrociously BAD contact with the NB and SB.

That said, you shouldn't need too much of a bump for 3.6GHz. My E8400 is at 4.0GHz and i just bumped the NBV a little bit. NB voltage is mainly a concern to what FSB you're running.
 
Back
Top