• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

time to switch to widescreen or not?

ampedxc27

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
1,338
im primarily using the monitor 4 games and i want either a 19 inch or 20 inch widescreen. im not really sure how many games support widescreen and is it worth it 2 get that or just stay with a regular 19 incher? the budget is about 400, give or take a little bit. thanks in advance :D
 
Well, think about this:

Do you get the new games soon after they come out or prefer the oldies? New games usually either have WS support built in or are easily tuned for it via the config files.

Do you mostly play FPS's? They seem to be the most WS-friendly in terms of "hacking", and probably also benefit the most from WS. OTOH, I made Rome: Total War support WS via config edit, and it was beautiful :)

What else do you do on the computer? I can vouch that WS increases you productivity when coding/doing content creation. There are 2 reasons for that:
1) most WS monitors are quite high-end, and therefore large, with high resolution (I use Dell 2005 fpw), thus able to fit a lot of stuff on screen.
2) the added side space is great for having e.g. your IDE and a web browser/text editor/IM/whatever side by side.

Also, most WS monitors have some sort of "4:3 friendly" mode, e.g. Dells and HPs have 1:1 and "aspect" (stretches the input *until* a screen border is reached, then stops--thus preserving input's original's aspect ratio). On a 1680x1050 screen, you can run 1280x1024 in 1:1 mode, almost filling the height of the screen, and having black bars to the side. Any lower resolution would call for aspect stretch, since the image will be too small in 1:1. However, quality may suffer due to stretching. So if your machine only plays comfortably in 1024x768, don't bother with WS, upgrade your video card first. Remember, LCDs look best in their native resolution, which will most likely be 1680x1050, given the diagonal size and the price you are aiming at.

Ultimately, I think moving to WS would benefit more than hurt you. However, if you plan to ONLY play games/browse internet, and don't want to mess with configs, you may be better off with a nice regular 19 or 20 inch screen.

I am not sure if there are any 19" WS monitors. The models I think you should evaluate are the 21" Gateway and the 20" dell 2005fpw. Both are 1680x1050. dell uses a S-IPS panel by LG (same as apple 20"), and the Gateway uses (samsung's?) S-PVA. You can search and find plenty of info about those in various threads here, or just google it. I personally find S-IPS panels vastly superior, but many on these boards seem in love with S-PVA. I would suggest going to Best Buy or something and see the Gateway for yourself--if viewing angles don't bother you, go for it. It also has component inputs, which dell 2005fpw lacks--that may be an important factor for you.

EDIT:
www.widescreengamingforum.com is a great place for game WS hacks.
 
Join the dark side...........

compare25cg.jpg


farcry0gw.jpg


hl227tf.jpg


hl25bf.jpg


wow26io.jpg
 
Nice Comparison pics^
I think widescreen is the future. I have dell 2405fpw, and after thinking that i would hate widescreen when they first emerged, I now hate 4:3 :D
I would say go for it!
 
When I made the switch from playing WoW at 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 it was a definite improvement. I had to turn the graphics levels down a little bit, but the extra screen space means a lot more room to actually watch and enjoy the game. (No more raids being obstructed by CT-RaidAssist.)
 
well its mostly 4 new games like half life 2, ut04, and halo is my oldest game. i was looking into the 2005fpw and im waiting 4 a deal 2 come. and thanks icewind 4 the comparison, games look alot better in ws. im also getting an x2 so id like 2 have lots of windows open at once so a ws would probably help, right?
 
ampedxc27 said:
well its mostly 4 new games like half life 2, ut04, and halo is my oldest game. i was looking into the 2005fpw and im waiting 4 a deal 2 come. and thanks icewind 4 the comparison, games look alot better in ws. im also getting an x2 so id like 2 have lots of windows open at once so a ws would probably help, right?

Do these answer your question? :D


9-27-2005flash.jpg


e9yl36.jpg


IMG_3818.jpg
 
yes, they do thanks alot :D
im gonna buy the 2005 next time it goes under 400
 
Back
Top