Time to revolt! Until we get a 24" Glossy S-IPS LCD

tybert7

2[H]4U
There has to be someone out there that makes such a panel, or plans to. If not, we need to rise up and revolt. This treachery is just not tolerable. Is there no way to simply ramp down production of certain higher end S-IPS panels and sell at a higher price point?

Sure the corolla/camry may be the bread and butter for Toyota, but they still make high end lexus models !

Are the lcd makers so derelict as to abandon supreme quality? Say it is not so. I really do not want to have to wait for OLED displays to get this level of quality and beyond.

But maybe I am premature, maybe there is something out there right now or on the horizon that matches my desire.

Apple 23" inch is pretty close. not glossy, but damn they look good. same res as a 24" as well.

For me the apple is a good choice, it has nice style and nice res size, the only thing that it doesnt have is, HDCP. Im with the op on this one though, quality is going to hell because people keep buying cheap panels and wreck it for people who want quality! LG has a 24 inch H-IPS panel but i havent heard much about it except that the new iMac's might be using it.

Just this morning I recieved an e-mail ad from Newegg promoting monitor sales...there were a slew of 19"-20" monitors all under $200 and then several 22"s the majority of which were under $250 and then a couple of 24"s for around for $450 and $480. There was one monitor that seemed very out of place....the NEC 20WMGX2 20.1" for $499 ($399 AR) To the average person reading the ad..they would think "maybe it's more expensive because it has a tv tuner which I don't really need...I'll get me a 24" for a little less instead!" The NEC is there because it's discontinued and they are trying to clear out stock and make way for the new NEC GX monitors in the 20", 22" and 24" sizes...all TN panels.:(

Whether we like it or not..geeks like us make up a very small percentage of the buying public and even then we all don't agree on glossy vs matte or IPS vs TN. A companies bottom line is the key to survival...and companies like NEC who historically put a lot of engineering into the construction and electronics of their monitors (check out the specs and features of their commercial plasma monitors:eek:) have to lower themselves to the level of the competition to survive. I know I sound like a broken record but the trend I'm seeing is that people like us will be forced to buy from a professional line (with inflated prices) of monitors to get the quality and specs we're looking for.

Want a glossy PC monitor? Buy a CRT! :p
Buy one where? Tell us where to get new high resolution widescreen CRT. The only ones I could find were $15K - $30K

Sure the corolla/camry may be the bread and butter for Toyota, but they still make high end lexus models ! Are the lcd makers so derelict as to abandon supreme quality? Say it is not so.

The high end for monitors is really way above the price points you're thinking about. You can get the high quality monitors you want for a price, like $4K - $10K and up! Really what we want is decent middle range monitors, but as joemama nicely summed up: most people close to this price range look at price first, the spec sheet 2nd & real quality 3rd. This is why manufacturers struggle to sell mid range to consumers.

Travbomb pointed out that the likes of bestbuy etc don't even want to stock things like the GX2 - it takes up valuable shelf space and doesn't sell fast enough

I really do not want to have to wait for OLED displays to get this level of quality and beyond.

Don't wait for OLED - there is no guarantee that the technology can be turned into a real product (at desktop monitor size) Sony have demoed 20"-26" panels and have suggested availabilty for late next year assuming they can solve the production issues.

Don't expect FED to be on your desktop anytime soon either, I suspect they will be introduced first as the replacements for reference CRTs like these:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplaySubCategory?m=0&sm=0&p=8&sp=20073

There was one monitor that seemed very out of place....the NEC 20WMGX2 20.1" for $499 ($399 AR)

Wow, that's a nice monitor at that price. AS-IPS, right? I was looking at it about 1 year ago, for $700 + tax up here in Canada.

Damn Newegg for not shipping to Canada! :)

Wow, that's a nice monitor at that price. AS-IPS, right? I was looking at it about 1 year ago, for $700 + tax up here in Canada.

Damn Newegg for not shipping to Canada! :)
NEC is doing a closeout on those monitors to make way for the new models...you should be able to find a similar deal somewhere in Canuckistan. Good luck:)

the new imac has a glossy 24" so maybe someone will use that panel in a standalone display soon

Want glossy, get a sheet of glass and install it on the front of your matte screen. Because that is what the new iMac has. A normal matte monitor with a sheet of glass( removable) installed in front of it. All it does is add reflections. Apparently some folks are impressed by shiny reflections and it is becoming the latest fashion.

If you have a picture frame around, take out the glass, clean it and put it flush on your matte LCD and tell me why you think this makes the image better.

If you have a picture frame around, take out the glass, clean it and put it flush on your matte LCD and tell me why you think this makes the image better.
It lets me see if there are any ninjas are sneaking up behind me thanks to the advanced light redirection technology... in HIGH DEF

Want glossy, get a sheet of glass and install it on the front of your matte screen. Because that is what the new iMac has. A normal matte monitor with a sheet of glass( removable) installed in front of it. All it does is add reflections. Apparently some folks are impressed by shiny reflections and it is becoming the latest fashion.

I haven't seen the new iMac so I don't know if what you're saying is true...but as an owner/past owner of 2 glossy panels (NEC 20WMGX2, Acer F-20) I can tell you that it's an actual coating applied to the screen and it's not smooth like a sheet of glass. If you turn off either monitor and look at the screen from an angle you will see a "wavy" surface which helps deflect excessive reflections.

edit- also, adding a sheet of glass on top of an anti-glare screen would be quite pointless. :p

I've seen the new 24" iMac. It's not just a sheet of glass installed in front of a normal matte monitor.

Normal LCD panels have an anti-glare film glued to the polarizer, which can actually be removed if you're daring: http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8283

The 24" iMac doesn't have that film, so the image comes through clearly without that anti-glare graininess. The sheet of glass is to protect the panel from damage.

Im with the op on this one though, quality is going to hell because people keep buying cheap panels and wreck it for people who want quality!

Because people cant tell the difference between low quality and high quality or just dont care.:rolleyes:

Ususally they dont care.

its unbelievable how many people think TN panels have great colors, great blacks etc, because they dont know what quality IS in the first place.

They just want a display, something to see, thats it.

Sad.:(

Its like the people who compare $29 koss headphones to $600 sennheisers.
They think the koss headphones are the be all end all of music quality until they hear something like the sennheisers then they realize how bad the koss's really are:D

Bottom line ~~ in general you get what you pay for:)

Yeah, because you can judge a monitors quality Via youtube video.

Small wonder that in a year from now we will only be able to buy glossy TN panels because "oh look, shiny and cheap".

With 1000:1 contrast and 5MS that HP2408, appears to be an LG LM240WU3.

Shiny TN. Yipee.

i seen a video of that monitor and would like to know what panel is in it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZweAOIwg1Y

Wow, on the dark areas of the screen you can REALLY see the bad black levels contrasted with the piano black frame.

YIKES!

Ah well, I have seen the 22" up close and for what it is it performs admirably.

But yeah, Apple really needs to extend that screen they used in the 24" i-mac.

People who KNOW the difference in quality will flock to it the world over, especially as the ONLY game in town.

Wow, on the dark areas of the screen you can REALLY see the bad black levels contrasted with the piano black frame.

YIKES!

Ah well, I have seen the 22" up close and for what it is it performs admirably.

But yeah, Apple really needs to extend that screen they used in the 24" i-mac.

People who KNOW the difference in quality will flock to it the world over, especially as the ONLY game in town.
The problem is that the "people who know" are a very small minority and hardly make a dent in overall sales. Companies are going to produce whatever flies off the shelves the fastest..

Back