Time to replace my P4

rbanzai

Limp Gawd
I currently have a P4 that is getting pretty long in the tooth. I am not looking for a cutting edge machine but something that is at least a bit expandable over the next few years and will be capable of running current PC games with a decent detail and performance level. My monitor is 1440x900 so I won't need to run at extreme resolutions but at the same time it would be nice to be able to turn the detail level up for once and see some of those graphic niceties I usually do without, like high levels of AA, reflections, shadows, etc. :p

I don't have the skill to build one myself so I'm looking at some of the usual suspects, like Dell, Maingear, etc. I'd like a decent video card (I have an 8800GS right now) but I'd like to avoid those big, double-slot noisy ones. The numbering schemes are so arcane and updated so often I'm not sure where they fall on the performance scale.

I don't require a quad core since I don't do much that could take advantage of it.

There seem to be so many similar machines it can be difficult to tell which is current, old or a mix of old and new components.

I'm looking to spend $1200 - $1500 on the system and am curious if anyone has suggestions for vendors (It has been at least a year since I last explored a replacement) or specific model lines or components that would be good to look for right now to avoid being obsolete as soon as the sale is made.

Thanks

Have you tried building one yourself? It doesn't require that much skill and is actually fun. You could save a lot of money by building yourself too.

If you still want to buy from a boutique, I think Dell's are pretty good.

Good luck!

u know, if ur looking to spend that much, you might as well take on a quad core, if for not other reason than, why not...? With computer so cheap nowadays, you're going to do well based on that amount.

Good Luck!

I *really* recommend the Dell XPS 630 at that price point. Dead silent, super fast, very high quality, warranty where they bring a part to your house the next day to put it in if something breaks... no shipping it off or lugging it to Best Buy.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_630?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

750w power supply (future proof)
fantastic build quality
E8400 (6MB,3.0 GHz, dual core, overclockable in BIOS)
4gb RAM (upgradeable to 8gb)
500gb HD
DVD Burner

1yr onsite warranty $1174 + tax + shipping
3yr onsite warranty $1423 + tax + shipping
shipping usally free
add only $150 to upgrade to a single insane nVidia GTX 280

I've been looking at Maingear, at both the Prelude and their SFF called the X-Cube. I like the smallness of the X-Cube and the Prelude is also a pretty nice case. The Prelude offers the new intel CPUs but at this point I'm uncertain if that's worth paying a premium for. I also can't speak to the motherboard these systems use.

Is there a significant increase in noise with the newer Quads, in terms of the cooling needed to keep them under control? My concern is that if I stuff a bunch of hi-po stuff in the box it's going to roar like a shop fan. I think they offer a $100 Zalman heatsink in the X-Cube to keep things quiet. It looks like the 9800GT is available on both systems for a minor increase in expense and then I can research a quiet card on my own.

I saw some nice systems at Digital Storm but I'm thinking now the limiting factor will be that I don't want a full size case. That should help me narrow things down and puts the Maingear systems and Dell's Studio box in the lead. I'm going to check Maingear's forums for info on volume levels.

I'm starting to get really stoked. :D

If you're looking at a Dell then take a closer look at the xps studio that they have. Base price is less than a grand, and with a couple of upgrades you'll get a system that I think will suite you fine. You'll get an i7 processor from Intel and triple channel ram...the best combo out there right now in my opinion. At your resolution if you upgrade to the highest end video card it will do just fine. It's the equivelant to a 9800 gt....and you'll want to upgrade to at least 6 gigs of the RAM with Vista Home Premium 64 bit so it can utilize all that RAM. Those couple of upgrades will raise the price by a couple hundred bucks but I believe they would be well worth it.

There's also other boutiques out there besides Maingear and Digital Storm....which both appear to have great reputations. There's also Puget that I've heard nothing but good things about. There's also AVA Direct...but there's been some issues with them as of late...I won't go into any more detail other than that. And then there's also the place that I ordered from this past weekend. Can't say the name because it's sensored here, and trying to circumvent the text filters can result in a ban on these forums...and I actually appreciate being able to post here. Read some of the other threads towards the top of this section of the forums and you'll probably be able to figure out where I'm talking about.

Edit: lol I'm sure you know of which place I'm talking about...you posted in the thread that I was trying to hint you to go to. Just noticed that after I replied in this thread of yours. lol

Back