Time to replace fans?

Cyrilix

2[H]4U
I've got two 120mm fans in my case that are making noise. First of all, let me say that I have an Antec P180, with one of their "Tricool" fans on the top vent (the extra vent going up) and a Panaflo 104 CFM fan on the CPU heatsink. It was one of the x1A fans, although I forget the letter -- it may have been M1A or H1A.

The Panaflo fan is always making a bit of a buzzing noise, whereas the Tricool fan sometimes makes a buzzing noise, but when it does make the noise, it's really loud. When I smack the top of the case, the noise sometimes dies down a bit and then comes back up. In the end though, after a while, the noise seems to disappear (if I leave it long enough). I'm not sure what could be the cause of this -- there are no wires in the fan's rotation path hitting the fan or anything like that (as I've opened up my case to check), so the question now is... should I replace both of these fans? Are they defective or simply "worn out"? I've had this machine for 2.5 years, and have never changed these fans.

If I should replace them, what should I be using? The fan thread seems to suggest that I should use the Panaflo L1A (120mm) for the CPU heatsink as a replacement -- although it is a sort of pricey fan, and maybe a 120mm Yate-Loon D12SL-12 for the top vent (which is significantly cheaper). First of all, are these good recommendations or is there better? The key for me is noise reduction without sacrificing too much airflow. Second of all, if so, is there anywhere I can buy these fans in Canada? NCIX does not have the L1A at all, nor does DirectCanada or Canada Computers, so I'm at a loss picking one out of the choices they offer.

Thanks.

NCIX has the scythe s-flexes, the noctua fans, as well as the other yate loons which are a decent fan too...

I also built a computer for a friend once with sunons... i also liked them, quiet, and moved decent air.... Lian-Li's used to come with sunon's at one point as well...

so any of those from NCIX would be my suggestion.

I've looked into those, and they seem to be decent fans. The question I'm more curious about though is whether or not my fans are definitely just wearing out, or if there's something I can do to make them quieter.

Its been my experience that a noisy fan rarely becomes "quiet"..

I dont think any of us can tell you whether your fans are worn out or not for sure....

The only answer we can give you is.... "maybe".....

There are not many things you can do to try and make they quieter....

Sometimes its the orientation..some fans dont like to be upside down etc...try seeing is it still makes the noise in different orientations..... maybe they just need rubber gromets, etc....are they on temp sensors? Maybe they are just speeding up becuase the case is hot....also, you could try a fan controller.....

Hard for anyone to really without hearing them, seeing them, etc.....

Assuming your PC has been running 24/7 for 2.5 years... it cant hurt to change the fans....a very inexpensive upgrade... for quieter, cooler, computing... probably just easiest to replace them and be done with it.

I guess you're right. I went and placed some orders for a couple of SFF21E. I hope they can do well as both CPU and case fans.

Back