Time to get naked...56k = nein

Alex41290

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, because of some rather pushy forum members that will not be named *cough*cornelious*cough*bitchbreaker*cough* I set out today to remove my IHS. Originally I had intended to do it tomorrow, but meh, who cares, I didn't have to redo the loop, I just took the cpu block off (tubing still connected) and let it resist against the side of my case. Well, here is an adventure for me that I hope you will enjoy :p.

procbeforemedium7lm.jpg

Here is my awesome CCB1E 0609 processor just chillin looking for some sexy cooling to come it's way so they can get someplace a little quieter.

toolsmedium1ss.jpg

Little did he know, two local thugs had it out for him because he hadn't paid his taxes. They are very lawful thugs, in case you were wondering.

ihsgonemedium0bg.jpg

In the blink of an eye, CCB1E was left naked sprawled across the ground with his tattered clothing littering the asphalt.

nakedprocmedium5px.jpg

He got to his feet, and in a determined voice he declared "F--k clothes, I'm going naked."

injurymedium0ea.jpg

The thugs sent a shockwave of force throughout the streets when they struck at CCB1E, and he was not the only one harmed. Innocent civilians were brutally wounded during this savage attack.

cpuandblockmedium8rh.jpg

Now, CCB1E lives secluded in his humble abode, waiting for his chance to break free and see the light of day once more.

Until then, he will remain in his house, with the fans on high, kickin it at 37-38*C at stock volts :cool:
27primeoptynaked0ec.jpg

The end. :D

Wow, it's that simple? Maybe I'll try it this summer! :) (in other words, when I have the spare money to afford to replace my X2 4400+ if something bad happens ;)).

What kind of temperatures were you getting before?

wee96 said:
Theres this thing called focus............

:rolleyes: Thanks bud. It's hard to take a focused picture from a few inches away when your hands are shaking.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

Alex41290 said:
:rolleyes: Thanks bud. It's hard to take a focused picture from a few inches away when your hands are shaking.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

It was meant in humor, sorry you missed it.

Nice stuff Alex...I don't usually post anywhere but in the Overclocking and Cooling forum, so thanks for grabbing my attention with this one.

Nice to know me and BB could be of some help. Good job on popping to top off your opty. I know what it's like...the first time I removed an IHS from an A64 my hands weren't the steadiest things in the world...but frick it really is that easy.

Nice job...and keep goin' on the OC, I know you can do better. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Nice stuff Alex...I don't usually post anywhere but in the Overclocking and Cooling forum, so thanks for grabbing my attention with this one.

Nice to know me and BB could be of some help. Good job on popping to top off your opty. I know what it's like...the first time I removed an IHS from an A64 my hands weren't the steadiest things in the world...but frick it really is that easy.

Nice job...and keep goin' on the OC, I know you can do better. ;)

It was scary. I put in the CPU and it wouldn't post...reset the CMOS...wouldn't post...took out the CPU...turns out all the pins didn't go in. I've had a great last few days ;).

I'm pretty sure my CPU can go higher, just temps holding me back now. I know my RAM can do 1:1 at ~320 1T but I'll try for 334MHz at 1T. Either that or go for 2.5-4-4-8 instead of CAS3.

Alex41290 said:
It was scary. I put in the CPU and it wouldn't post...reset the CMOS...wouldn't post...took out the CPU...turns out all the pins didn't go in. I've had a great last few days ;).

I'm pretty sure my CPU can go higher, just temps holding me back now. I know my RAM can do 1:1 at ~320 1T but I'll try for 334MHz at 1T. Either that or go for 2.5-4-4-8 instead of CAS3.

Yeah man, that happened to me when I took the IHS off my first Venice...bent some pins and it wasn't seating properly...ah well, live and learn.

Hopefully the ram serves you well, my PC4400LE that I had cherry picked by OnePageBook over at XS did about 330 or so 1:1 at 1t...and I had them doing 296MHz 1:1 /w 1t and 2.5-3-3-5 timings when my 3000+ was at 329x9. God I miss that chip...never got to try it out with a real video card. :(

As nice as the Intel rig will be in my sig...I want to move back to AMD sooo bad...can't wait to have money to put together a nice Opty setup. :)

Alex41290 said:

That happened to me twice actually the first time I was angry so I threw it away, but the second time it happened with a different processor so I just bent them back with a knife.

sculelos said:
That happened to me twice actually the first time I was angry so I threw it away, but the second time it happened with a different processor so I just bent them back with a knife.

They're not usually too hard to bend back...especially since it's almost always outside pins from holding the chip. Taking a butter knife and putting it between two rows and angling it to align them works very well I found.

Same thing also happened to me when I was lapping the IHS on my 3.4E so I've had a bit of practice. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
They're not usually too hard to bend back...especially since it's almost always outside pins from holding the chip. Taking a butter knife and putting it between two rows and angling it to align them works very well I found.

Same thing also happened to me when I was lapping the IHS on my 3.4E so I've had a bit of practice. :p

Yeah, mine came with a few bent pins...I actually don't think I bent any this time, I just don't think I set the processor in the socket correctly. I fixed the bent pins with a pocket knife, was pretty easy.

Alex41290 said:
Yeah, mine came with a few bent pins...I actually don't think I bent any this time, I just don't think I set the processor in the socket correctly. I fixed the bent pins with a pocket knife, was pretty easy.

Good stuff man. I was actually freaked out when I bent the pins on my 3.4E lapping it...cus I could have sworn I fixed 'em all but it would not seat and I couldn't get the thing to start...it ended up working...but man, when you hear a nice long beep on startup, or nothing at all...it's the worst feeling on earth...especially if it happened while you were "messing" with the chip. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
Good stuff man. I was actually freaked out when I bent the pins on my 3.4E lapping it...cus I could have sworn I fixed 'em all but it would not seat and I couldn't get the thing to start...it ended up working...but man, when you hear a nice long beep on startup, or nothing at all...it's the worst feeling on earth...especially if it happened while you were "messing" with the chip. :p

Yeah, the first POST beep of the IHS-less Opteron was so relieving, cause you realize you didn't completely obliterate something you spent a lot of money on :p

I'm taking this system to a little LAN party soon (like 9 people) but I'll have the best system there...I want to go some place HUGE like QuakeCon or Lanageddon (whatever you crazy Canadians call it...the one from Pure Pwnage) that would be so much fun. QuakeCon is a *bit* far away from me, but Canada is only a few hours :D

Alex41290 said:
Yeah, the first POST beep of the IHS-less Opteron was so relieving, cause you realize you didn't completely obliterate something you spent a lot of money on :p

I'm taking this system to a little LAN party soon (like 9 people) but I'll have the best system there...I want to go some place HUGE like QuakeCon or Lanageddon (whatever you crazy Canadians call it...the one from Pure Pwnage) that would be so much fun. QuakeCon is a *bit* far away from me, but Canada is only a few hours :D

Yeah man...even though my phase change setup is gonna weigh a good 40lb on it's own...I'm gonna want to LAN more and more once I get this system up and running. the 40lb+ phase change system combined with a typical PC weight, along with water weight from the X850XT-PE cooling...I'm gonna be looking at a fricken 100lb comp guys. :p

Where abouts do you live Alex? I'm in Saskatchewan...dead center Canada.

cornelious0_0 said:
Yeah man...even though my phase change setup is gonna weigh a good 40lb on it's own...I'm gonna want to LAN more and more once I get this system up and running. the 40lb+ phase change system combined with a typical PC weight, along with water weight from the X850XT-PE cooling...I'm gonna be looking at a fricken 100lb comp guys. :p

Where abouts do you live Alex? I'm in Saskatchewan...dead center Canada.

Damn, nowhere near me :p. I'm in south-eastern PA about an hour north of Philly, about 45 minutes away from NJ. It's quite a trek to Saskatchewan ;)

Alex41290 said:
Damn, nowhere near me :p. I'm in south-eastern PA about an hour north of Philly, about 45 minutes away from NJ. It's quite a trek to Saskatchewan ;)

Ah well...no biggy I guess...if it happens it happens. ;)

BitchBreaker said:
Now arent you happy i made you do it?

He darn well better be...as easy as it is it should have already been done...but at least he's got friends like us to pickup the slack and give him (or anyone else for that matter) a good kick in the arse in times like these. :p

I simple can't stand to see an A64 with potential remain covered up, or a case with good design sit as a wirey mess. :D

good to see someone else with a naked 0609fpmw.

my chip is killer also. i will be doing more testing next week after the lan party...
0609FPMWdualprimecustomlowr.jpg

Nice stuff Haste...hopefully you're able to rev 'er up a little more and clear the big 3-0 prime stable. :)

Back