Time to do some OC'n (2600K).

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
It's been a while my [H] brethren, I've got an older system that is still working pretty well for me but could use a little more oomph. The current rig is an Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo, stock 2600K, 16GB (4x4) PC3 12800 (9-9-9-24), Antec Skeleton case (open air), Corsair AX750 psu, SSD and stock cpu cooler. The rig was built in '11 with a GTX570 that died right about the time the gpu price jump happened, waiting for the 1180/2080's to come out or a great deal on a new 1080ti.

To prepare for the extra cooling needs of an overclock I bought the Corsair Air540 case. I also just ordered the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 360 which is probably overkill but I want to keep this thing cool, also it fits in the case and it wasn't much more than the 240. I've got (3) 140mm fans for exhaust, 2 top, 1 back and will be using (3) 120mm high static pressure fans in a pull configuration for the 360 which will be at the front. I plan to pick up some Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste.

I don't plan on doing any insane overclocking but I'd like to get a little bump to help cope with a newer gpu and bottlenecking. Is there anything else I should look at for cooling? I've already got the case and cooler so that's pretty much covered. Should I look at ram fans? Replace thermal paste on the current chipset heatsinks (it is 7yrs old)? The ram is Corsair Vengeance so it does have heat spreaders.

This video is giving me faith in this systems ability to chug on for at least a couple more years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

you are absolutely fine in all departments. nothing to worry about RAM temps, isn't like you are gona be able to overclock a lot those modules.. if those are as old as the machine, they are perhaps single Rank XMP 1.2 which are a piece of shit overclocking also with 1600mhz you are more than fine with a 2600K..

at what resolution will you be gaming? depending on that factor, the bottleneck that CPU may be minor at 2560x1440 or very noticeable at 1920x1080 unless you go to above 4.7ghz to mitigate that, with that cooling setup you will have no troubles with temps in fact I think 360mm radiator may be somewhat overkill even being an AIO, so you could easily AIM for a 4.8ghz overclock those chips are pretty well known for hitting easily anywhere between 4.6 and 4.8ghz with very good chips reaching 5.0ghz - 5.1ghz.. at acceptable voltage levels (1.42 - 1.45v).

if those are as old as the machine, they are perhaps single Rank XMP 1.2 which are a piece of shit overclocking also with 1600mhz you are more than fine with a 2600K..
They are as old, bought at the same time, here's what they are. No worries there if they'll suffice.

I think 360mm radiator may be somewhat overkill even being an AIO
Yeah, I kinda figured it might me but I can still fit a 12" card and the 360 with over an inch to spare and it's only $14 more.

at what resolution will you be gaming? depending on that factor, the bottleneck that CPU may be minor at 2560x1440 or very noticeable at 1920x1080 unless you go to above 4.7ghz to mitigate that
Initially I'll be gaming at 1080, looking to move to a 4K TV eventually. That's part of the reason I want to overclock, to help pick up some of the slack from where the stock clock speed stops.

Thanks for the input! Makes me feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

As Araxie said you'll be more than fine on cooling. If you're used to overclocking older systems you'll be shocked how easy it is on that 2600k. I know I was when I upgraded coming from old school overclocking.

Your very similar to me - i switched from a 2500k @ 4.5 to a 2700k to stave off having to upgrade the whole system, can get that in to windows at 4.8 but not prime stable now so just sitting pretty at 4.7

Runs everything fine at 1440p for me, also have the 240 Arctic freeze, no issues with temps whatsoever for me and rest of the board wont require any additional cooling.

Check the "paste" and pads on the mobo sinks, I replaced mine earlier this year. The VRM heat will be your first concern when pushing for 4.7/4.8. I would settle for what ever 1.35v and low load line settings gets you, that's a lot out of our old hardware.

I did a similar swap earlier this year, New case, PSU, cooler, and nice GTX 1060-6GB. I just can't justify a platform upgrade, especially since I don't want Win10 at all, sticking me with a used Gen6 build path.

I'm running 4.0ghz undervolted to 1.2v, cool and quiet.

Last edited:
Back