time thingy

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
Just how persnickety is this thing?

I have been looking for an "n" wireless, gigabit wired, and a back up option for my computers.

All things considered this thing is cheap for what it does. Well the 500 gig model. $200 more for a tar is silly. I have an externat 500 gig drive on my PC right now for back ups. Easy enough to move.

Were talking a home grown PC, mac mini and tablet pc. The drives on the mini and tablet are pretty small.

Any thoughts, coments, warnings, advise etc is very welcome.

First off, it took me quite a while to understand what you were trying to say. I think you are referring to the Time Capsule, yes? And that a "tar" is one terabyte? And that externat=external?

Sure, go for the 500GB Time Capsule - it's rather simple a setup, and regarding the wireless capabilities, I can't imagine it would be any worse than my rock-solid Airport Extreme [n].

Next time, though, take a moment to proofread the post - it just makes it so much easier for us to help if we don't have to struggle to read what you are trying to say. Most on the forum will not help someone who makes helping a chore.

First off, it took me quite a while to understand what you were trying to say. I think you are referring to the Time Capsule, yes? And that a "tar" is one terabyte? And that externat=external?

Sure, go for the 500GB Time Capsule - it's rather simple a setup, and regarding the wireless capabilities, I can't imagine it would be any worse than my rock-solid Airport Extreme [n].

Next time, though, take a moment to proofread the post - it just makes it so much easier for us to help if we don't have to struggle to read what you are trying to say. Most on the forum will not help someone who makes helping a chore.

Agreed, very well put.

So, you have a time machine? Or just an air port? Its not clear from your post.

So, you have a time machine? Or just an air port? Its not clear from your post.

Actually, it is perfectly clear. However, for your sake, I will reiterate: I have an Airport Extreme - an N-router that has a USB port to allow for network attached storage. The Time Capsule, which I do not have, is an N-router that actually has the storage built in, as opposed to one needing to plug in an external hard drive into it. So what I was saying in my previous post was that a) it's easy to setup and b) though I do not have it, I have the Airport Extreme which uses the same wireless internals, so the range and whatnot on the wireless should be good.

Wow.

I have learned some valuable information, not about my questions, but thats ok.

I did learn a lot about how polite, helpfull, considerate and pleasant the users in the apple forums are here. Or at least some specific users in any case.

Thanks for responding and I do hope you feel better soon.

The Apple TImeCapsule will show up as a remote drive. As for backup programs TimeCapsule will work with both Leopard and windows XP backup programs. It does not work with vista backup programs (some security issue).

I have learned some valuable information, not about my questions, but thats ok.

No idea why people were being weird...
I think the issue was that your questions didn't really make sense.
Elf_Boy said:
All things considered this thing is cheap for what it does. Well the 500 gig model. $200 more for a tar is silly. I have an externat 500 gig drive on my PC right now for back ups. Easy enough to move.
What is tar?
What is externat?

I'd just get a 1TB TimeCapsule; it would take the place of a wireless router.

Back