Time Keeping Going Ahead......

Harbinger101

Weaksauce
I heard that if the time in windows xp lags behind the actual time, then it would be time to replace the battery in your mobo. But what happens when the time keeps going ahead? I have to sync the time like 2 times a day to keep it regular. Any help?

Make sure you have the timezone and DST set right. If you do, set your time to sync with NIST over the MS server; it gets flaky occasionally. Boy is that fun with Kerberos vadidity timing :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is a chronic problem with the Microsoft time server. I'd recommend you use the NIST one.

I use the nist server...I have the same thing

My clock ends up EXACTLY 4 minutes ahead...always...never more, never less no matter how long I go with out updating the clock. I have no idea how it gets ahead either, its not immediately after I update it, but within a day I notice its ahead again and I have to update it.

If its lagging behing at a progressive rate, as opposed to sudden jumps upon sync, make sure to replace your battery. Its fairly easy: get a CR2032/DR2032(usually, check manual), turn the computer off, and swap. Simple procedure.

My time is NOT lagging behind, its going AHEAD. And i am using nist to sync time, so thats not it either.

R u running a domain? I found that if the Domain Servers Time is off then the whole domain will be off check that IF you are running a domain..

normally the battery is the cause only if you turn your pc of for extended periods of time. on the other hand, if you leave your pc on for long periods of time, say a week, the clock can simply lose / gain time because it is being driven by a hard working cpu and things get out of whack. If you keep it on all the time, try an occasional restart to sync the clock with the bios. if you do shutdown a lot then you may need a new battery. best bet though is to sync with a time server.

Back