time for upgrade?

ajkev24

n00b
my son's comp amd x2 5200+ @ 2.9 ghz gigabyte m/b 690v 2 gig ddr2 800 vid asus 3650 512mb ocz psu 500w w/ active pfc...using it for web surf, im, but mainly for playin WOW and FRAPS. Starts to stutter when using FRAPS. Thinkin bout building an intel e7300c2d 45nm or q6600 w/ go stepping gigabyte mb p43, 2gig gskill 1066mhz and pny 9600gt...need input please.

Why don't you just try the 9600GT with your current setup first? The X2 should be plenty fast.

What exactly are you using fraps for? If you're using it for video or pictures you should do two things.

1) Have fraps installed on a different drive than the OS or the game. Having the drive that contains the game or OS constantly being written to by fraps will cause stuttering, even on more powerful machines

2) Use the registered version of FRAPS, it allows you to save your screen shots as jpeg's instead of bitmaps which use far less drive space, which equal less hard drive activity to interrupt your gaming.

thanks for the reply...i think you saved me some serious change but i think i would definitely try the 9600gt since its about $104 and grabbing a new hhd to save FRAPs (video recording).
thanks for the help RAMONGTP, ALDAMON, and ANGRYARTICHOKE...i still wonder how different will it be with an Intel sys.

8800gt 512mb is 112 stream processor compared to 9600gt 512 mb 64 stream processor...i think im sold. thanks CURTISFONG

I would not have upgraded if I knew how crappy intel OCing was going to be on the quads, for dual core I dont think it is worth it my opty 165 was plenty fast enough still for everything but starting to max out for crysis

Back