Time for a replacement?

MetaKnight

n00b
I like to game on my family's computer most of the time when online is required since it has a direct connection, but the graphic card is old. This wouldn't be the first time I've actually had to replace it, but what is going on has me needing confirmation before I just go ahead and switch it out because I've never experience this myself before.

I'm playing my games and the monitor goes black. The monitor says it doesn't detect a signal and acts like it has been forced into standby or sleep mode. The computer is still running so I shut down, wait a minute, and boot up because I think maybe the card is getting overheated and being forcefully shut off. After starting my games again I tab out and check my temps and see that the card is hitting over 120c while under 100% fan speed. I can still do everything else I normally do with around average temps, but it seems gaming is now killing it.

Every time I've had to replace a graphic card before it has been because of the typical artifacts and then blue screen so this is a first for me. Is this a sign it is time to replace?

whats the config of the entire computer.. wondering if its time to replace the entire thing?

I've actually been gradually updating the family computer for them. It was an old Pentium core 2 duo with a 9800 and I switched out the cpu and mobo with an i5 2500k, swapped out the 2GB of ram for 8GB and replaced the 9800 with another 9800 when the last one went bust. The last time the 9800 went out was some few months before the GTX 500 series. The only problem the system has ever given me is lacking in the graphic department, but I've never bothered to replace anything unless we needed to and it seems like this is one of those moments. If the problem is that it is time to replace then I'm going to just snag a GTX 650ti, but I want to be sure first.

The budget, I already picked out the card in the link.

The only game I use the family computer for is Warframe and I'm playing at a mix of low and medium settings with a few of the extras, like motion blur, disabled.

lol, 120C is a problem, no doubt

You blown the dust out of the thing?

Got decent case airflow?

Tried reapplying the TIM?

In any case, I think a 2500k would be worth a modern mid level card.

I just cleaned the computer today to make sure, and while not as bad as I've cleaned other computers before it did need a little bit of cleaning. It still didn't have an effect on the issue. The case also has decent airflow. I have not reapplied the TIM, but I did take the card out and give it a cleaning as well in case the fan was clogged with dust and it seemed not to be.

What case are you using? It seems like you keep eating video cards and the only common denominator is the case. My guess is that it is an old case that isn't up to snuff with modern parts.

EDIT: I see the power supply wasn't replaced either, though I still think it is a cooling issue, what PSU are you using and how old is it?

Last edited:
MetaKnight,

What is the temperatures of the GPU after you have cleaned out the case? You did clean out the dust from the GPU fan too, including the heatsink, from the end of the card?

Woah......

Is that an NVidia 9800 or an ATi 9800?

Sounds to me like the thing just flat out died of old age.

If the PSU is up to snuff, it's time for a new card.....from this decade.:D

What case are you using? It seems like you keep eating video cards and the only common denominator is the case. My guess is that it is an old case that isn't up to snuff with modern parts.

EDIT: I see the power supply wasn't replaced either, though I still think it is a cooling issue, what PSU are you using and how old is it?

The case is a mid-tower Cooler Master and my family never saved any of the paperwork so I don't know what exact model it is, but I know it is discontinued. It almost looks like an old Centurion model, but when I checked Cooler Master's website they don't have it listed under any pages I could find. The closest model I could even compare it to by appearance is a Centurion 534.

I will actually replace it by the end of the year because while the airflow is decent I know newer models are better and I hate that the current case has the PSU placement at the top instead of bottom. I built a mid-tower pc for my little brother and picked him out a HAF 912 and I may pick out the same model to replace the case.

The power supply is an old Enermax at around 500-550w. I can't remember exactly, but that hasn't been replaced because my family hasn't had any issues with it and I have also cleaned the dust from that when I go through and clean the computer from time to time. Enermax PSU's really do seem to withstand the test of time.

Try running everything outside of the case and see what happens.

If I can prepare the space to do it and have the time for it I may.

MetaKnight,

What is the temperatures of the GPU after you have cleaned out the case? You did clean out the dust from the GPU fan too, including the heatsink, from the end of the card?

When I started keeping track of temps it would normally idle around the mid-high 60's and when gaming it would range from mid 70's to low 80's. The temps before I just cleaned it had it idle in the high 70's to low 80's with the temps reaching over 120c when shutting off during a game and that was what tipped me off that this may be the problem and to come here and check since I've only had a card die on me after artifacts. After cleaning the card the temps are still the same. Even now the current temp is sitting at 80c with 100% fan speed.

Woah......

Is that an NVidia 9800 or an ATi 9800?

Sounds to me like the thing just flat out died of old age.

If the PSU is up to snuff, it's time for a new card.....from this decade.:D

Sorry, I should have specified. I forgot Ati had 9800's. It is using a Nvidia 9800 GT 512MB from BFG, right before news they had to liquidate. At first I was thinking of just getting a normal 650 to cut the power consumption from the video card by 60% and it would still being a slight upgrade, but I decided when the time came a 650ti would be a better choice with current prices and the difference in performance. I think the PSU can handle an extra max TDP of 5 watts.

I think a 650ti would be an excellent choice for you.

Lets hear the actual part number on that PSU.

I'll be opening it up again in a while (hour maybe) to take a look and then update on what exactly the Enermax PSU is.

Edit: It's an ENERMAX FMA II EG565P-VE 535W

Last edited:
Back