Time for a new power supply?

NeonFlak

Limp Gawd
Current power supply is an Enermax Whisper EG465P which I've had for a little over two years now. I've been having problems overclocking both my a64 and the 6800gt. It seems I can only overclock one or the other. I installed MBM and it seems that when I try overclocking both the a64 and the 6800gt my +12 line varies from 11.70 - 12.02. And it seems that most of the time if it drops below 11.80 my system reboots. So, is it time for a new powersupply, or should I just get a "cheaper" powersupply to run the 6800gt and maybe the case fans?
My current system:
A64 3000+
Alpha 8150 w/smartfan 2
vnf3-250
2x 512mb pc3200
bfg 6800gt
2x 7200rpm maxtors
LG 52x32x52
3x sunon case fans

Thanks

Well speaking of power supplies, is it normal for the +12v to go any lower than 12 volts? Because mine can go anywhere from 11.70v to 12.10v or so. Im so confused...

I am having the same problems with my power supply. I just bought a new one because it has a 120mm fan with adjustable speed right next to my CPU. It cools the chip great, but I just checked my rails in bios and everything is within .2 or normal except for the 12v rail which is hovering around 11.77v. Is this going to kill my system? I have not done any gaming on it yet but I plan to tonight.

Well a new fan wouldnt have done it.. i dont think those fans even use more than 1 watt. Please correct me if im wrong.

Some motherboards just report low numbers. As a baseline for mine, without anything overclocked my +12 hovers 11.94 - 12.02.

Avengeance said:
Well speaking of power supplies, is it normal for the +12v to go any lower than 12 volts? Because mine can go anywhere from 11.70v to 12.10v or so. Im so confused...

For "cheaper" power supplies, its quite normal for it to fluctuate. That can be one of the causes of instability with overclocks. You won't find anything like that with a good PC Power and Cooling PSU. But, you pay out the ass for it too. So, I suppose its how much $200 matters to you...

I had a cheapo RAIDMAX 500W on my current rig and I was unable to oc my cpu past 2.8. I tried everything different ratios, even tried 3:2 and still couldn't get past it. I did notice my rails fluctuating a bit too much and so I bought a new PSU. Tried again and I was able to reach 3.4 stable, but I didn't like my temps so I brought it back down to 3.2.

Try to buy a new PSU and see if that helps any, if not you can always return it.

Good Luck :)

Any suggestions for a new PSU or a secondary one to take load off the enermax?

Avengeance said:

Should be ok as long as it is within 5% of rated...thats +/- 0.60 V on the 12 volt line, of course less than 5% divergence is BETTER..

Later

MD

Back