Time Capsule vs Airport extreme vs Linksys Wireless N

Hi I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions. I've got 2 computers in my upstairs bedroom that are wireless. I currently have a Wireless router which is a Linksys WRT54G.

It's already getting on in age so I was thinking of replacing it with a better wireless router. I'm deciding weather I should go with a Linksys N or go the apple route.

Will I get faster internet if I go with a Linksys Wireless N? What is the difference between G and N? I was thinking of getting a Time Capsule because I wanted an automatic backup of my data.

Is a time capsule going to perform the same as a Linksys? Which router is better? what is the difference between Time Capsule and Airport extreme.

Are they basically the same with the only difference being the hardrive? If I get a Time Capsule then do I still need a Linksys router? Is it easy to setup a wireless network using a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thats alot of questions... most of which Google can answer easily.

Like it or not, the Apple WiFi products are VERY good products. If you are even considering it, go for it without question. Especially if you want the seemless backup ability. www.smallnetbuilder.com has always had Apple's WiFi products VERY highly rated. The Time Capsule would fit the bill perfectly fine.

The Time Capsule IS a router, so yes, the difference between the Airport Extreme and the Time Capsule is the internal HDD.

If you have at least one Mac in you're house (which I know from you're previous posts you do) then setting up an Apple WiFi device is stupid easy.

Thanks for the response. I have a concern, Upstairs I have 2 wireless computers, both are running Windows. If I get a Time Capsule and use it as a router then do I have to purchase new Wireless adapters for my computers? They are both using Linksys Wireless g adapters. Thanks

No, but they will only achieve 802.11g speeds. 802.11b/g/n are all backwards compatible... for the most part. What bandwidth tier are you getting from you're ISP?

Hook up a PC directly (wired) to you're router and run a test at speedtest.net. That will give you what you are actually getting. If you want to compare that to what you are actually paying for, look on you're bill or call them.

Honestly though, if you don't know that kinda thing off the top of you're head its probably not that important to you.

I'd recommend the TimeCapsule over anything Linksys you can link me to. Im using a TimeCapsule for all the Macs on my network, as both an AP and a Backup Drive. I'm also running 4 Airport Expresses to help with my wireless and AirTunes.

You won't need to upgrade the wireless cards in your two Windows PCs, they'll just run at 802.11g, and the only thing this really matter to you is the speeds of the backups. If you have a Mac with a 802.11n card, you'll notice a bit more speed for the backups.

Now I'm not too sure how robust they are as routers, but I cant imagine you putting too much stress on it.

Disclaimer: I'm making absolute assumptions that you're not doing any heavy file sharing/media sharing over your network, and that you are not abusing p2p.

Thanks for the info. Last question. I'd like to upgrade the Wireless G adapters that are in my 2 computers upstairs. What are some good wireless adapters that I could use on my 2 computers?

To ensure maximum performance, you are going to want to look for either PCI or external 802.11n adapters the will do dual-band, meaning 2.5GHz aswell as 5GHz. I'll look around, but I would ask on smallnetbuilder.com and say you want 5GHz support for a Windows PC connected to an Apple Time Capsule.

OTOH, if you aren't worried about 5GHz support (its really not THAT important), this card seems to be a very good 802.11n card and a really good price.

Thanks for the link.

Do you physically connect the Time Capsule to the Mac Pro using an ethernet cable or does it work wirelessly? The reason I ask is because I never configured my Mac Pro with a AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi card. Do I need that in order for the Time Capsule to work? Thanks

Well obviously if you don't have a wireless card in you're Mac Pro then yes, you will have to wire it. Unless you can figure out how to do it magically. :D

Why wouldn't it be? Its got a built in 3 port Gigabit Ethernet switch on the back. If its the Mac Pro you want to back up it will be WAY faster wired anyway.

Back