Tim Cook Says ‘Great Desktops’ Are Coming

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple CEO Tim Cook, responding to postings on an employee message board, said that the company is committed to the Mac and that "great desktops" are coming.

Some folks in the media have raised the question about whether we’re committed to desktops. If there’s any doubt about that with our teams, let me be very clear: we have great desktops in our roadmap. Nobody should worry about that. The desktop is very strategic for us. It’s unique compared to the notebook because you can pack a lot more performance in a desktop — the largest screens, the most memory and storage, a greater variety of I/O, and fastest performance. So there are many different reasons why desktops are really important, and in some cases critical, to people.

Are you speaking of 2020 roadmap Tim?
Critical was over 2 years ago. Same with updated Macbook Air, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, wireless router, etc.
All we've gotten is a fairly useless touch bar. Not much for multi billion dollar company.

You only have one 'New' thing on your website.

macstore1.PNG

I predict they will update the Mac Pro design. It will be a slight redesign to avoid the trash can look. It will have squarish sides while simultaneously looking like a tissue box. They will make the hipsters happy using eco-friendly materials in the casing while claiming it saves power by not using fans. Apple will state the design takes courage, the rest of the world will laugh at the insanely overpriced Apple Cube 2.0.

I predict they will update the Mac Pro design. It will be a slight redesign to avoid the trash can look. It will have squarish sides while simultaneously looking like a tissue box. They will make the hipsters happy using eco-friendly materials in the casing while claiming it saves power by not using fans. Apple will state the design takes courage, the rest of the world will laugh at the insanely overpriced Apple Cube 2.0.

The cube was the shit. Picked one up a few years back. Its awesome.

Ohh yes, please be very clear. You haven't updated your cpus in the desktops for 3-4 generations. That right there is telling.
The trashcans came with E5 v2 CPUs. With their dedication to Intel and the way Xeon's are getting updated (Mac Pros always used server processors), their approach is understood. What threw me off was the 2012 refresh, as I knew they were going to have a new Mac Pro, and they hit us with another 1366 CPU..lol

Unless you were talking about the iMac, which I totally forgot existed...LOL

And it will use a low power (or a laptop) CPU since the hipster design will not be able to dissipate the heat of a real desktop CPU, giving it the performance of a Windows PC that costs less than half the price.

And it will use a low power (or a laptop) CPU since the hipster design will not be able to dissipate the heat of a real desktop CPU, giving it the performance of a Windows PC that costs less than half the price.

Are you serious? wow you have no idea....The headsink will protrude out the top with an opening for a coffee mug to keep your coffee warm! Innovative and courageous!

The problem will be that it doesn't fit standard coffee mugs and you will need a mug adapter to seat it properly in there.

Are you serious? wow you have no idea....The headsink will protrude out the top with an opening for a coffee mug to keep your coffee warm! Innovative and courageous!

The problem will be that it doesn't fit standard coffee mugs and you will need a mug adapter to seat it properly in there.

Not only will the coffee mug be proprietary, but it will not have a flat bottom, so it cna be used nowhere but the magical coffee warming heat sink.

My read on it was that it translates to "We'll shove some mobile processors in the next imac and rip off MS's tilting screen and then maybe do something with the ipencil to try and keep the graphics design world on board, but no touch screens god damn it"

Apple needs to look at the fucking touch bar and decide if Steve was right or wrong. Either way that shit is an abomination.

Give the design people a macbook pro with the damn pencil stylus and an fold around screen and they'd be lining up to fellate the genius bar to reserve their spot in line. For video editing, they have been a shit choice for way, way too long now. That ship sailed for all but the delusional.

The trashcans came with E5 v2 CPUs. With their dedication to Intel and the way Xeon's are getting updated (Mac Pros always used server processors), their approach is understood. What threw me off was the 2012 refresh, as I knew they were going to have a new Mac Pro, and they hit us with another 1366 CPU..lol

Unless you were talking about the iMac, which I totally forgot existed...LOL
Apple doesn't believe in over kill. When one gets older cpu's, its because apple engineers number crunching, comes to the conclusion you don't need any more horse power. No different than building xbox's or PlayStations. They are built to last till their next projected upgrade cycle. Apple also does a forcast of the requirements needed to keep the machines functioning for the next few yrs. Most of us put our own machines together for what we think is our needs. Apple puts machines together for what they think their masses will need to run apple software and hardware.

Apple doesn't believe in over kill. When one gets older cpu's, its because apple engineers number crunching, comes to the conclusion you don't need any more horse power. No different than building xbox's or PlayStations. They are built to last till their next projected upgrade cycle. Apple also does a forcast of the requirements needed to keep the machines functioning for the next few yrs. Most of us put our own machines together for what we think is our needs. Apple puts machines together for what they think their masses will need to run apple software and hardware.

Hell most of the desktops at my work are i5, from 2/3 gens back. Paired with SSDs they still run fast as hell. We are at a performance wall.

Here's the problem with that line of thinking. It assumes that their customer base doesn't need the extra performance. I could see how they might limit things on the desktops or Mac Mini's for this reasoning, but the high end needs to be refreshed often to keep up. A large chunk of the graphic arts (advertising, etc.) and animation groups still swear by Apple for some reason. You would think they would want higher performance to improve productivity.

He’s responding to the following question: What do you consider to be Apple’s biggest differentiator, and what can employees do to foster and advance those efforts?

“I think it’s that ‘change the world’ attitude and boldness that’s deeply embedded in our culture, that ‘good isn’t good enough.’ All of this is the fuel for everything else that we do.”

So, delusion then?

Apple CEO Tim Cook, responding to postings on an employee message board, said that the company is committed to the Mac and that "great desktops" are coming.

Some folks in the media have raised the question about whether we’re committed to desktops. If there’s any doubt about that with our teams, let me be very clear: we have great desktops in our roadmap. Nobody should worry about that. The desktop is very strategic for us. It’s unique compared to the notebook because you can pack a lot more performance in a desktop — the largest screens, the most memory and storage, a greater variety of I/O, and fastest performance. So there are many different reasons why desktops are really important, and in some cases critical, to people.

I'm only worried they will cost $6000

Not only will the coffee mug be proprietary, but it will not have a flat bottom, so it cna be used nowhere but the magical coffee warming heat sink.

My read on it was that it translates to "We'll shove some mobile processors in the next imac and rip off MS's tilting screen and then maybe do something with the ipencil to try and keep the graphics design world on board, but no touch screens god damn it"

Apple needs to look at the fucking touch bar and decide if Steve was right or wrong. Either way that shit is an abomination.

Give the design people a macbook pro with the damn pencil stylus and an fold around screen and they'd be lining up to fellate the genius bar to reserve their spot in line. For video editing, they have been a shit choice for way, way too long now. That ship sailed for all but the delusional.

Like the HP X360, which is the coolest damn laptop on the market IMHO

$10 we'll start to see iMacs with Surface Studio-esque display stands.

Non Apple fan here (MacOSX gives me a headache and iOS is too restrictive), but there is zero chance Apple would ever produce something with as ugly a square base and chrome arms as the surface studio has - it looks like a lamp stand, like a chinese designed iMac knockoff that would be called "iMaxx"

VDlj2AM.jpg

Last edited:
Not a chance in hell Apple would ever make something with the ugly square base and chrome arms of the surface studio. I'll raise you $1000.

LOL! Sure, the Surface Studio is ugly. But in any case, I bet they will make something like it with pen capability. With iPhones coming with pen support for another rumor in this thread, it's just a matter of time before pen input comes to bigger screen Apple devices.

Here's the problem with that line of thinking. It assumes that their customer base doesn't need the extra performance. I could see how they might limit things on the desktops or Mac Mini's for this reasoning, but the high end needs to be refreshed often to keep up. A large chunk of the graphic arts (advertising, etc.) and animation groups still swear by Apple for some reason. You would think they would want higher performance to improve productivity.

My wife is in the industry and hates her Apple hardware. Would prefer to use my Windows 10 desktop or even our mid-level surface book over her work computers. She's also had 2 crash and burn in the last 1.5 years at the most inopportune times.

Her favorite is working with massive assets on the brand new replacement machines. She will wait to go home before running anything in which the computer has to "process information" since she would rather not watch the computer "think" for an hour (her words). I don't know if this is a typical experience, never used Apple hardware.

Give me a large tower packed with lots of CPU and GPU power, tons of RAM, and gobs of fast storage. Stick it in a huge case, I don't care. A computer is a tool, I could give less than 1 shit if it looks cool.

Give me a large tower packed with lots of CPU and GPU power, tons of RAM, and gobs of fast storage. Stick it in a huge case, I don't care. A computer is a tool, I could give less than 1 shit if it looks cool.
But that that goes against Apple Philosophy. Design >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Function

Apple will release a Mac Pro, but everything will be soldered, so no upgrades after purchase. They'll give you some options when purchasing, but nothing be be the cream of the crop, it'll always be one or two steps from the best, but you'll be charged a massive premium regardless.

I'm sure it'll take on a roll similar to their Pro set up, where it contains highly customized mobile parts in a small package with limited, but high end connections.

All OEM's charge a ton for upgrades, Apple isn't the first to do it. Most OEM's know that when people buy their product, especially businesses they rarely upgrade the device. Its easier to sucker people into upgrades if you offer it in the initial purchase path.

The HP x360 is getting a lot of praise. I think that's one thing that's changed, Apple has slowed down and PC makers have caught up.

I got the Ash Silver and Copper. The damn thing is gorgeous and I haven't had any issues with it. Well, the HP support center software is half-assed but that's a problem on all HP's.

I prefer the Ash Silver/Copper because the keyboard is black/white backlit. The standard is silver/green backlit and in normal light the backlight is washed out and the keys not dark enough for good vision without it turned on. It's a no-win scenario.

Back