TIM Application

Cod

Gawd
I just received my new cooler and want to know what method is considered the best for applying thermal paste? According to Artic's website, the vertical line method should be used by those with a third generation Intel processor. Thoughts? Should I just stick with the "dot" method?

BTW, here's a neat video about how compounds spread based on the installation method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

I just try to keep in mind that the thermal compound just fills the gaps between the processor's metal plate and the cooler's metal because air is a worse thermal conductor. They probably believe that for 3rd gen Intel core processors the line method is best because the die is like a flat Lego brick.

Don't spread it with your finger or your finger inside a plastic bag. Your finger is covered in oils and dead skin cells you can't even see, and a plastic bag doesn't give a thin/even enough coat (leads to air bubbles or too much TIM which blows for heat transfer).

Dot/pea method ... line method ... manual spread method (thin even layer with a razor blade / credit card) all work great and give good results. If your heatsink has exposed heatpipes (not a smooth surface) I'd rather use the manual spread method... as it might not spread properly with the pea/line methods.

Back