• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

TightVNC hardware accelerated?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
5,847
Do you guys know if the display driver TightVNC uses is hardware accelerated? What I mean is that does it have the capability to access the server's graphics driver and use it for acceleration so that what it displays on the client is accelerated? Or does the client have to be the one whose graphics driver is hardware accelerated?
 
Not sure about TightVNC, but I know that UltraVNC has a special hardware driver you can download and run on the server to boost performance. The driver only runs when the VNC is actually connected, so it doesn't interfere with normal video driver operation.

I use UltraVNC to connect from my laptop on the coffee table in the living room to my media server PC in the other room. Unfortunately I cannot use the VNC hardware driver because I need the ATI driver running to support Theater Mode for full screen video output to the TV.
 
Not sure about TightVNC, but I know that UltraVNC has a special hardware driver you can download and run on the server to boost performance. The driver only runs when the VNC is actually connected, so it doesn't interfere with normal video driver operation.

I use UltraVNC to connect from my laptop on the coffee table in the living room to my media server PC in the other room. Unfortunately I cannot use the VNC hardware driver because I need the ATI driver running to support Theater Mode for full screen video output to the TV.

Yes, I know UltraVNC has a special hardware acceleration driver, but the problem is that on a dual screen server, the client (UltraVNC viewer) cuts off 2/3 of the server screen, so it renders it useless. I can't see anything that way.

TightVNC works perfectly, but the problem is that it's a bit slow. I was wondering if it was due to the client's video not being hardware accelerated. BTW, both of them run Windows 7, if that matters.
 
Interesting... I've not yet tried UltraVNC with multiple monitors yet. Good to know.

Yeah, that's the whole idea for me. I want to be able to control my main desktop with say, a laptop, using a remote desktop program that will allow me to see my dual screens on my main desktop in a single window console session on the laptop. So far NO program does this properly. Not even UltraVNC; it forces Aero off on the server. But TightVNC does it perfectly. Just slow. Need to find a way around it, or maybe the hardware on the laptop is shitty. To be honest, the laptop I was using to test this was an old IBM Thinkpad, so it may be just that it's long in the tooth.
 
Back
Top