TigerDirect vs Newegg vs NCIX vs CDW vs

bejocund

n00b
Just wondering which company has great customer service in case we happen to buy a defective monitor.

TechonWeb
Buy.com
Tigerdirect
NCIX
Newegg
CDW
PC Mall

any others

I've never RMA'd a monitor before but NewEgg is the best online store for computing needs hands down. Best everything.

Newegg definately, its my first stop for all things PC & electronic related. Tigerdirect can hug my nuts.

Though I've bought from other sites such as outpost, amazon, monarchcomputers (now defunct, I believe), and even ebay the vast majority of my parts have come from newegg. Not only do they have just about any consumer product you would need they also stock a good assortment of server items also. I purchased both my Tyan dual opteron motherboards from them as well as the CPUs.

As for TigerDirect, just about every ratings site gives them pretty low marks so I've never purchased anything from them.

If you're Canadian, then NCIX is the best option. Newegg seems to be a favourite among Americans.

Though I have had perfect dealings with ZipZoomFly... The one time I ordered from NewEgg was just as pleasant of an experience... I would like to make some purchases from NCIX because their staff is so active on the forums and seem to be in a category all by themselves on that (A Really Amazing Category that is!)... Customs seems to delay shipping to the US, so I probably won't ever have the pleasure of ordering from them...

NewEgg / ZipZoomFly get my vote...

Zipzoomfly and Newegg are where I do most of my shopping, Tigerdirect occasionally has some really killer rebates or bundles and I've never had a problem with TD.

Zipzoomfly and Newegg are where I do most of my shopping, Tigerdirect occasionally has some really killer rebates or bundles and I've never had a problem with TD.

Yeah, I've visited TD's site a few times to see what they have and came close more than once to buying something. I still might sometime in the future. It's just that when a company gets such a bad rep that almost everybody knows about then you really have to wonder.

I like Newegg for computer parts, however I heard their return policy on monitors leaves a lot to be desired.

"Newegg.com sells many products such as Notebooks and Monitors that feature LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screens. Newegg.com adheres to the dead-pixel policy that is observed by the majority of our manufacturers. In order to declare any product with an LCD screen "defective" and eligible for replacement or refund through any applicable Newegg.com Return Policy, there must be a minimum of 8 (eight) dead LCD pixels."

How strict they follow their policy that I do not know. However that is their definition of 'defective.'

NewEgg is overrated. They're good for computer parts if you know what you want, but with monitors, you never know what you're going to get. They generally don't accept returns on LCD monitors, so if you're not happy with the monitor due to an unforeseen problem like input lag, you're pretty much screwed. Also, according to their return policies, there must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return.

For monitors, Amazon.com is a better choice. They will let you return a monitor for any reason without a restocking fee, and for defective items, they will even pay for shipping. Make sure you're buying from Amazon.com though, not through a third-party merchant, which may have different return policies.

My experience with Newegg is good, however as someone pointed out you need to know what you want, otherwise restocking fees can kill you.

Back