Tiger Direct reponds to Sandy Bridge Chipset flaw

WOW that's nice of them. Never ordered from them before but I may now after seeing how good their customer service is.

Wow, that is totally awesome. I knew they had issues in the past, but they've seem to be really stepping up their game these days.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've absolutely never had a problem with them in my time buying from them. I definitely seriously consider them an alternative to Newegg. I wonder what card they'll be giving?

I would rather get the motherboard replaced vs a SATA card. May not be a big deal for some, but running a MATX I have limited slots to begin with.
It would also be interesting to see if they send out PCI or PCI-E cards as depending on your motherboard you may have plenty of one, or none of the other.
Still kudos for them offering something where they did not, hopefully those that wish to return them are not roadblocked by this offering.

Finally some response from TD. I would rather get a mobo replace in April or May when its available than the SATA card, since I want to keep the pci slot for other expansion.

Edit: Any news on what TD will do about the RMA later on?

I would rather get the motherboard replaced vs a SATA card. May not be a big deal for some, but running a MATX I have limited slots to begin with.
It would also be interesting to see if they send out PCI or PCI-E cards as depending on your motherboard you may have plenty of one, or none of the other.
Still kudos for them offering something where they did not, hopefully those that wish to return them are not roadblocked by this offering.

agreed

Certainly not a permanent solution, but kudo's to TD for making the effort. Newegg didn't even send me an E-mail regarding the issue. After 10 years of continuous business with the Egg, I think it's time to switch... plus no sales tax.

Though it is cool, I dont think they are doing this out of the kindness of their heart. Its probably cheaper and easier for them just to give you a $15 (if that much) card than pay for you to ship back your motherboard and then ship it again to the manufacture, never mind the man hours handling it.

Come on NewEgg, do this to, or you'll lose business to TG. SuperBiiz and Mwave is already getting some of my hobby money and looks like TG is next...

300 gigabits and 600 gigabits (as he says in the vid!) I'm sure it is more like 3 gigabits and 6 gigabits. lol

Or that is the best SATA channels I've ever seen on a mainboard!

Awesome to see them step up to the plate and take care of people, especially considering its not their fault in the first place.

WTG Tigerdirect

Aaron

TG does have a 30$ per 6 month free ground shipping and half off overnight and 2nd day Newegg shipping is fast but they don't offer this like TG does.

They need a better ram selection tho!

Certainly not a permanent solution, but kudo's to TD for making the effort. Newegg didn't even send me an E-mail regarding the issue. After 10 years of continuous business with the Egg, I think it's time to switch... plus no sales tax.

WTF, no sales tax? Last time I ordered from Tiger Direct was 10 years ago, but I think I may come back.

I applaud Tiger Direct's effort, I do.

However, the performance of the card they are offering gets raped by the performance of Intel's onboard SATA RAID. It's not even close to being in the same ballpark.

I applaud Tiger Direct's effort, I do.

However, the performance of the card they are offering gets raped by the performance of Intel's onboard SATA RAID. It's not even close to being in the same ballpark.

a) Really not that much slower, latency may be higher since it has to go through the PCI-e bus. Honestly, unless you''re running a super fast SSD off the 3GB onboard ports (which you shouldn't if you know what you're doing), there won't be any user detectable real-life differences in speed. (ie with 7200 RPM drives running real programs and accessing real life data, not synthetic benchmarks.)
b) Isn't a permanent solution anyways, since the MB supplier will replace the defective part when fixed ones become available.
c) Don't look a gift horse in the mouth... it's free, tigerdirect didn't have to supply it.

PS I've had a good experience with TD lately. Had a defective webcam, and they shipped a replacement out the day I filed the swap claim for free. All I had to do was pay for shipping the defective unit back. So I had a replacement in my hands in 2 business days. Free return shipping would have been better, but IMO not to be expected.

300 gigabits and 600 gigabits (as he says in the vid!) I'm sure it is more like 3 gigabits and 6 gigabits. lol

Or that is the best SATA channels I've ever seen on a mainboard!

I noticed that too, crazy fucking speeds! I've never heard anything about these new buses, didn't even know they were needed yet.

a) Really not that much slower, latency may be higher since it has to go through the PCI-e bus. Honestly, unless you''re running a super fast SSD off the 3GB onboard ports (which you shouldn't if you know what you're doing), there won't be any user detectable real-life differences in speed. (ie with 7200 RPM drives running real programs and accessing real life data, not synthetic benchmarks.)
b) Isn't a permanent solution anyways, since the MB supplier will replace the defective part when fixed ones become available.
c) Don't look a gift horse in the mouth... it's free, tigerdirect didn't have to supply it.

PS I've had a good experience with TD lately. Had a defective webcam, and they shipped a replacement out the day I filed the swap claim for free. All I had to do was pay for shipping the defective unit back. So I had a replacement in my hands in 2 business days. Free return shipping would have been better, but IMO not to be expected.

If they send one to you, (if you were one of the people affected) please run Crystal Disk Bench on it with three WD Caviar Black 1TB drives and post the results.

hold the @#$% on! Where can I buy this crazy motherboard with 600GBPS and 300GBPS ports?!

On a more serious note, newegg not only let me return my board and CPU, but also the memory and HS/F I had bought a week prior to the launch. They are also waiving the restocking fee for those items AND they paid for shipping!

So...
Tigerdirect = Give you a free cheap sata card that will be forced to use shared bandwidth.
OR
Newegg = Goes above and beyond to ensure their customers satisfaction is the absolute #1 priority!

This is why my total amount spent over the last 5 years at newegg is just over $10k...
Of course that also might be the reason they treated me so well, did anyone else get the same treatment?

Certain solutions are better for different situations. Obviously those that wanted to return them would be happy if there place of purchase made every effort do that at no cost to them. However those that wanted to keep the boards will likely find this solution better. And yes quite a few people do want to keep there boards, some are even still trying to purchase them. Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

If they send one to you, (if you were one of the people affected) please run Crystal Disk Bench on it with three WD Caviar Black 1TB drives and post the results.

What part of "not noticeable in every day usage (not on synthetic benchmarks)" don't you understand? Cause most normal people don't build rigs just to run Crystal Disk Bench.

Honestly there's no point in debating if there's a noticeable difference in every day use with even the add in SATA card, since really, the existing P67 chip will most probably not degrade significantly between now and when the fix is released.

certainly a good option for those who don't want the hassle of returning the motherboard. I do have a problem with TG boasting that they've completely fixed the problem. The value of the board is crippled at this point making resale (the option) difficult.

Wording is everything and I personally didn't care for it.

That said, if you don't mind losing a pcie port for something that should work, then this is a good viable option. This is the cheaper of the alternatives for TG....not sure if they deserve too much praise.

I agree that a replacement, with shipment of replacement board first would be ideal.

Just my opinion :)

Let's go Newegg! Get this happening! I really don't want to have to replace the mobo, such a pain in the ass.

certainly a good option for those who don't want the hassle of returning the motherboard. I do have a problem with TG boasting that they've completely fixed the problem. The value of the board is crippled at this point making resale (the option) difficult.

Wording is everything and I personally didn't care for it.

That said, if you don't mind losing a pcie port for something that should work, then this is a good viable option. This is the cheaper of the alternatives for TG....not sure if they deserve too much praise.

I agree that a replacement, with shipment of replacement board first would be ideal.

Just my opinion :)

Except MSI and now Asus have formally stated they will replace your board with a new one and pay for shipping. I'm sure more of the mobo makers will likely come out and follow suit. Retailers offering some bonus items (TD actually isn't the only one, I've seen others) if you choose to keep your current board and use it is just extra.

So I ended up contacting TD for the free SATA controller card. They told me I can RMA with ASUS later on if I want to replace my mobo. Good temporary solution. Hell, I might not even want to replace my mobo since it is too much hassle disassemble and shipping it. I don't have manyy drives so 2 SATA3.0 slots will suffice for now. Although having the extra SATA controller card will allow me to add another HD or optical drive.

TD did ask me which controller card I want, PCI or PCI express. I have a ASUS P8P67 http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Qx3PdnZI9Pq9BcIU&templete=2

I already used my pci x16 for my gpu, and one of my pci for my audio card. I still have 2 pci x1 slots and 2 pci slots, and a pci x16 slot. Which type of card should I get? PCI or PCI express? Is there a speed difference between the slots? Hopefully, I can get a fast response so I can tell TD so they can ship me the controller card. Thanks.

Edit: I did some research myself, and might just go with the PCI x1 for faster/bigger bandwidth http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/bus_speeds.asp

Last edited:
So I ended up contacting TD for the free SATA controller card. They told me I can RMA with ASUS later on if I want to replace my mobo. Good temporary solution. Hell, I might not even want to replace my mobo since it is too much hassle disassemble and shipping it. I don't have my drives so 2 SATA3.0 slots will suffice for now. Although having the extra SATA controller card will allow me to add another HD or optical drive.

^
Precisely what they're betting on....

So I ended up contacting TD for the free SATA controller card. They told me I can RMA with ASUS later on if I want to replace my mobo. Good temporary solution. Hell, I might not even want to replace my mobo since it is too much hassle disassemble and shipping it. I don't have manyy drives so 2 SATA3.0 slots will suffice for now. Although having the extra SATA controller card will allow me to add another HD or optical drive.

TD did ask me which controller card I want, PCI or PCI express. I have a ASUS P8P67 http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Qx3PdnZI9Pq9BcIU&templete=2

I already used my pci x16 for my gpu, and one of my pci for my audio card. I still have 2 pci x1 slots and 2 pci slots, and a pci x16 slot. Which type of card should I get? PCI or PCI express? Is there a speed difference between the slots? Hopefully, I can get a fast response so I can tell TD so they can ship me the controller card. Thanks.

Edit: I did some research myself, and might just go with the PCI x1 for faster/bigger bandwidth http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/bus_speeds.asp

I received the same option (PCI or PCI-E). I wonder if a customer chooses PCI that TD would send a 4 internal port PCI card rather than a 2 port PCI-E card.

I have two P8P67 Pro boards so I'll likely just go the PCI-E way. One of the computers only has two HDD which work fine in the Intel 6Gbps SATA ports, leaving the two cards for my 5 HDD computer.

You guys should try having them give you a 4 sata port card. It's 4 bad ports afterall.

Disclaimer: I ran out of sata ports last time I tried installing them. Wish optical stayed IDE so there are more sata ports for drives.

Slightly off topic, but I heard the two 6Gbps SATA3 Marvell ports on some boards (such as my P8P67 Deluxe) support port multipliers. A port multiplier that would expand one internal port to 4 SATA ports would be perfect for lower speed devices such as optical drives or 1.5Gbps/3Gbps hard drives.

Back