ti4600 vs ti4800se - same thing?

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2000
Messages
1,143
looking at picking up one of the above... from what ive gathered, they are exactly the same, except the 4800se has agp 8x, vs the 4x of the 4600. also, ive noticed the 4600 has a 300mhz core vs the 275mhz core of the 4800se. am i right? is there any noticible performance difference between the two?
 
Yeah, same card basically.
Nope, no performance differnece between the two.
 
KevC said:
Yeah, same card basically.
Nope, no performance differnece between the two.

are you sure? according to this review, the 4600 pretty much outdoes (on a majority of benchmarks) a stock speed 4800se. or is there something in this review i am missing?
 
4800se is a CHEAP card... the 4600 is much better (though if you have to have 8x AGP, you'll get that with the 4800se). Performance wise the 4800se is more like a 4200.

Now... if you can get a true 4800 (rare), it performs similar to the 4600.
 
Actually, the 4600 is better. Neither card has the capability to fully use agp 8x. The 4800se is actually a 4200 or a 4400 (I forget which) with agp 8x. It was simply a marketing scheme, and since 4800>4600, people thought it was better.

Heh, they did the same thing with the 5200. (5200>4200, although many geforce 3's beat the 5200...)

Im actually going to sell my 4600 very soon if anyone is interested. It has been an excellent card, although I upgraded to a 6800 gt.
 
A 4800SE is as CrimandEvil said, a 4400 with AGP 8x (I know because I have one), and a 4800 (notice no SE) is a 4600 with AGP 8x.

cjcox said:
4800se is a CHEAP card... the 4600 is much better (though if you have to have 8x AGP, you'll get that with the 4800se). Performance wise the 4800se is more like a 4200.

Now... if you can get a true 4800 (rare), it performs similar to the 4600.

:rolleyes:

The 4800SE is not like a 4200, it is like a 4400, because it basically IS a 4400, with perhaps slightly better performance due to the AGP 8x. In the future, please get your facts straight before you post such mindless drivel.

Look how easy it is to find such info:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4ti.html
 
CrimandEvil said:
I believe the 4800SE is just a 4400 on AGP 8x.
QFT. Check the core clocks, the 4800SE is a 4400. Quite frankly, I would get the 4400 and overclock the snot out of it...its like getting a 4600 with 8xAGP
 
Seven said:
A 4800SE is as CrimandEvil said, a 4400 with AGP 8x (I know because I have one), and a 4800 (notice no SE) is a 4600 with AGP 8x.



:rolleyes:

The 4800SE is not like a 4200, it is like a 4400, because it basically IS a 4400, with perhaps slightly better performance due to the AGP 8x. In the future, please get your facts straight before you post such mindless drivel.

I don't think there's any real world difference between 4x and 8x. My 6800 Ultra had the same 3dmark03 score with AGP 4x... Go figure. So there's no way that card would benefit from agp 8x.
 
You might see a difference of 1/2 frames between AGP 8x and 4x but yeah mostly it's closer to zero.
 
Which is why I said "perhaps slightly". I was looking for a 4400 when I got mine, but I found a 4800SE for cheaper. Also, as far as I know, the only differences between the 4200, the 4400, and the 4600 are clock speeds...

4200 - 250/500
4400 - 275/550
4600 - 300/600

I put a CPU heatsink on my card yesterday and I'm working on getting it clocked above 4600 speeds. Have it at 290/570 right now, and I'm shooting for at least 310/600.
 
Seven said:
Which is why I said "perhaps slightly". I was looking for a 4400 when I got mine, but I found a 4800SE for cheaper. Also, as far as I know, the only differences between the 4200, the 4400, and the 4600 are clock speeds...

4200 - 250/500
4400 - 275/550
4600 - 300/600

I put a CPU heatsink on my card yesterday and I'm working on getting it clocked above 4600 speeds. Have it at 290/570 right now, and I'm shooting for at least 310/600.

I had a 4600 before this it would overclock nicely 350/750
 
i figured this was another 5200fx type issue in terms of clock speeds, etc. i went and got the 4600 version instead. thanks for the info.
 
The Ti4600 was a great card. Even today they can get decent FPS on most games even at higher resolutions. Your kind of SOL on AA and AF though.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
The Ti4600 was a great card. Even today they can get decent FPS on most games even at higher resolutions. Your kind of SOL on AA and AF though.

i am upgrading from a vanilla geforce3, so i was looking for a quick not super expensive solution. i got this card for about $75 new, rather than say $150 for something another step up.
 
u got a good deal, 4600's are mad men at cs generation games, I hear

~Adam
 
My ti4600 is f***in metal.... Yeah it does play game based on the HL engine very well... Hell it played D3 like a hot katana through a butter elemental. I may try to sell it soon.
 
CleanSlate said:
u got a good deal, 4600's are mad men at cs generation games, I hear

~Adam

In their day they were badass. At everything. I wish mine hadn't died. I had two. One I killed OC'ing the first week I had it. The other one died a year after I bought it.
 
Oops. Yeah I was wrong. The Ti4600SE is a Ti4600 w/8X AGP. The Ti4800 (no SE) is a Ti4600 w/8x AGP. Sorry!
 
It is true that they can die after time...lucky for 3 year warranties.... ive gotten 3 so far
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
In their day they were badass. At everything. I wish mine hadn't died. I had two. One I killed OC'ing the first week I had it. The other one died a year after I bought it.
I game on a 17 inch monitor, and I can just now BARELY justify upgrading my TI4400. I have had some games that played a little choppy, but the card still holds up pretty damned well. UT2k4 is just now starting to get some maps that really stress the card, so its time, but yeah...best investment I ever made in computer hardware, probably.
 
Back
Top