• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ti4600 to 9600Pro

puphus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
138
Greetings -- I am currently holding out on building a new rig until most of the major new technologies are released later this year/early next year. As you can see by my sig, I'm running a fairly dated system. I was considering picking up a refurbished 9600 PRO from Newegg ($80-90) in an attampt to get a little more gaming pleasure from my system. Do you think it is worth it? Will I see improvements over the Ti4600 considering I run a P4 1.7? Thanks in advance.
 
Yup, keep the 4600. Only consider switching over if you want to at least get a 9700pro or 6800GT.
 
I'm considering a 9600 Pro to replace my Ti4200 because all I want to play is HL2, and, according to VALVe, an Athlon 2000+ with a 9600 Pro is enough to run the game in DX9 at 30 FPS with most settings on High.
But that's just me...
 
9600pro + oc will be faster than both 4600 and lower.
especially with AA/AF turned on and in dx9 games.
 
The 9600pro is faster, but not that much faster. It will let you play with 16xAF pretty easily though, so it will look better than the 4200 for sure. It also has decent speed DX9 support, but its not important for Doom3 as it doesn't use D3D (In case thats what anyone is thinking of upgrading for)

The 9600 line is afterall ATi's aging middle lineup (9200 - low end, 9600 mid-end, 9800 high-end) soon to be replaced with the X300, X600 and already existing X800. The GF4-4600 was the fastest of Nvidias previous gen high-end, and does an astoudingly good job in older games as that it what it is designed for.
 
Back
Top