• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ti4200 -> 9600XT = Worth it?

RWalker2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
343
Okay so after not finding a solution to my current video card dilemma http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792605 I'm thinking maybe it is a sign to upgrade a bit. I'm quite lazy and not really bothered to work with Gainward RMA because the card still works fine in the other computer (maybe not for long though??) and then I would just suck it up and get a new card for my main PC. What I'm thinking is a 9600XT or so... now from what I've seen its not a huge upgrade but is it worth it to last a bit since it is a newer card? If I'm going this far is it really woth another $60 for a 9800pro?

I've been out of the loop a bit so I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I have nps with Nvidia I'm just confused with their current offerings.. I wasn't so sure there is something worth it over the ATI cards in this range?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob
 
get the 5900 xt instead for a few more dollars. IF you look on newegg get either the point of view or the gainward one cause you can flash those easily to the 5950's cause they use very fast ram for xt's. I have the bfg one but it sucks worse than whatever sucks bad. I can only hit 750 on the memory period.
 
In alot of ways, the ti-4200 is just as fast as the 9600xt...the only thing you'll gain are a few features and DX9 cpabilities. IMO, it's not a worthwhile upgrade...definately go another $60 and get a 9800 pro, THAT would be worthwhile.
 
Get the 9600xt if you are on a tight budget. most of them overclock very well which makes up for some of the shortcomings of only having 4 rendering pipelines.

for a bit more, you can get a 5900xt as has been said. It may last you a little longer depending on how you play games.

Or, even better yet a 9800pro.

Or even better a 6800nu...

and on..and on...and on...


just my opinion though, I have 9600xt and actually love it. It doesn't have 8-pipes like the 9800pro I originally wanted...but it turned out to OC like mad (150Mhz over the stock on core and 90Mhz on the memory) and I was able to mod the temp. monitor to it with about $5 worth of parts and a bios flash. The highest resolution I game at is in Ravenshield @ 1280x1024 2xt3aa/16xaf and I hover around 40-50 fps which to me is perfectly playable.
 
or wait for the 6600 gt for only 200 bucks, that'll last you a good while judging from the tests
 
diablo111 said:
In alot of ways, the ti-4200 is just as fast as the 9600xt...the only thing you'll gain are a few features and DX9 cpabilities. IMO, it's not a worthwhile upgrade...definately go another $60 and get a 9800 pro, THAT would be worthwhile.

I agree with this post 100%

I went from a Ti4400 to a 9800 pro and im very happy I did
 
Raven01 said:
I agree with this post 100%

I went from a Ti4400 to a 9800 pro and im very happy I did

So going from a GeForce 2 TI to a 9800 Pro should be a HUGE difference I hope?
 
AMDcrash said:
So going from a GeForce 2 TI to a 9800 Pro should be a HUGE difference I hope?
I upgraded to an ATI 9800Pro from an Asus TI4200Plus. HUGE difference might be an understatement. In Serious Sam 2nd Encounter, framerates went from 60fps (overclocked to boot) in wide open areas to ~200fps (stock) in the exact same areas, with higher resolution and higher detail settings. Painkiller demo runs on Insane detail in 1280x1024 with everything maxed and it still gets 150fps stock.

Right now, I'm playing Doom3 at 1024x768 on high detail with 0xAA, 8xAF. Hitting the limiter everywhere but the open spaces, where it drops to 30fps. Running the XT flash at 445/760 (450/760 for everything else), with a few config tweaks.

My buddy won a 9600Pro at a LAN, and sold me this TI4200. He barely noticed a difference between the two cards. I'd recommend the 9800Pro. It's at an awesome price point right now.

I bought mine at the end of May, when they started showing up with the R360 cores (XT cores). I have zero regrets in this purchase, and I haven't looked back for a second. I won't be upgrading until S939/PCI-e prove themselves, and come down in price.
 
if you are gonna go with the 9600 XT i just upgraded...so i have a 9600XT lying around...perfect condition too.
 
What they said. If you are going to replace a TI4200 go to at least a 9800pro. A 5900XT would be ok, but they aren't quite as fast as the 9800pro and cost about the same.

Depends on which video religion you subscribe to. NV or ATI.
 
I went from a 9600xt to a 9800 pro and wow, what a difference.


I can't even imagine what it would be like for you...
 
RickyJ said:
Right now, I'm playing Doom3 at 1024x768 on high detail with 0xAA, 8xAF. Hitting the limiter everywhere but the open spaces, where it drops to 30fps. Running the XT flash at 445/760 (450/760 for everything else), with a few config tweaks.
Have you tried running at 2x aa? A frend of mine is running D3 at 1024x768 at high details with 2xaa and 16xaf and it never drops below 30fps, he is running a 9800xt and an xp2600.
 
Back
Top