Thunderbolt Interface card for PC

Finny76

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking for a decent Thunderbolt Interface card for my PC as I recently bought a Thunderbolt Audio interface, so need to connect it to my MB.

Did a quick search and found out that ASUS have a Thunderbolt add on card "ThunderboltEX 3" AND It seems that is the only option as I didn't find any by other manufacturers.

Is anyone using a Thunderbolt card in their PC and is it compatible with the Z270 series motherboards?

i'm fairly certain you have to have a TB header on your mother board to use that.

Upgrade your motherboard in just three simple steps!
  1. Easy upgrade: Slide ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 into PCI-Express 3.0 x4 slot
  2. Compatible with ASUS motherboards: Connect the card to the onboard Thunderbolt header with the supplied system-link cable
  3. DisplayPort 1.2 support: Attach the supplied DisplayPort cable to the card and the onboard DisplayPort connector

Turn on your computer, connect your Thunderbolt devices and enjoy the incredible speed!

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

yep you do.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessory/ThunderboltEX-3/

That is strange. Why would ASUS offer Thunderbolt for Z170 series motherboard and not the Z270?

Last edited:
That is strange. Why wouldn't ASUS offer Thunderbolt for Z170 series motherboard and not the Z270?

Because it's just not ever been that popular with the PC crowd. USB 3.1 is nearly as fast, and Apple were the only ones that really jumped on that train (and even they appear to be getting off of it).

I really liked TB, I'm glad it came around, if for no other reason than it pushed USB to get better.

Back