Thunderbolt Daisy chain question

MichaelJB

Limp Gawd
I need to know if its possible to add a mini DisplayPort monitor to the end of a Thunderbolt Daisy chain. Something like this:

PC with Thunderbolt -----------------> Thunderbolt storage device -----------------> Mini DP monitor (with sound).

I know they can't be used in the middle, as you can't Daisy chain from them. Just wondering if they work at the end of the chain or not?

Slight bump. My logic tells me it should work, but I would love a definitive answer before dropping some coin. :)

Just thought I'd post the answer to this question in case anyone else needs the info.

The short answer is YES you can add a MiniDP monitor to the end of a thunderbolt daisy chain.

But... Certain things in the chain will break this rule and cause it not to work, for example; as far as I can tell if you have an apple thunderbolt monitor then you cant have a MiniDP monitor after it. From the scraps of info I could find I think this has something to do with the apple monitor blocking a certain signal which causes the MiniDP monitor to think its not connected to anything, and thus it wont work. Again this is my interpretation of bits of info floating round the web, so please don't take it as gospel.

Back