Thunderbolt 4K bandwidth and 10GbE

nry

Limp Gawd
I'm currently using my old iMac 2011 with a i7 chip, it's fairly quick but my MBP Retina 2014 is lightning fast in comparison (I do quite a bit of CPU intensive work and works out about 60% faster).

With this in mind I'm considering buying 2x 4K monitors for use with my MBPr then use this as my main workstation. As I understand it I should be able to drive one display via TB at 60hz and another via HDMI at 30hz which isn't a problem as my second screen is for email/IM/iTunes/calendar/iTerm (slight concern with fast scrolling text but meh can't read that anyway!).

My concern comes with the available bandwidth of the TB controller, I use 10GbE regularly and can easily sustain 700MB/s on my existing Sonnet Echo Express (maximum I have been able to manage on TB1 with overheads). I'm looking at upgrading to a TB2 PCIe enclosure at the same time as buying some 4K monitors (http://www.span.com/product/Sonnet-...on-Chassis-1x-Half-Length-PCIe2-x8-slot~42385), but will I be pushing TB2 too far here with the 4K monitor as well?

The sensible thing here would be a Mac Pro but I'd rather wait to see what happens with any potential Apple 5K displays for the Mac Pro...

Just done some more searching, 4K at 60Hz is 11.94Gbits/sec which leaves me with a fair amount of room for 10GbE. Still feel like I'd be pushing the TB controller to the absolute limit here though.

Back