Thunderbird filter options question

LoneWolf

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
3,190
Hey guys,

Is there a way to set up a Thunderbird filter so that certain messages will not be downloaded from the POP3 server? Note --my client doesn't want the header downloaded, so I can't just say "only download headers" as a general option.

I do wish for the messages to stay on the server, I just don't want them retrieved. If there are no other options, I'm okay if the "Delete It" option in the filters receives the message and deletes it, but does not delete it from the mail server. However, I don't want to set things up and find the mail is gone and I can't get it back.

MS Outlook does have this option in its Mail Rules, but I'm not seeing it in Thunderbird. Also, if you know any add-ons that can be downloaded to implement it (in case the feature isn't offered), that would work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
For the first part, I am not sure either. You might want to go to Mozilla and see what they say on this.

Not sure if this is what you are after on the second part, but if you go to "Tools" and then select "Account Settings" this will bring up a new window. On the left pane, highlight your account name and under that name should be a setting called "Server Settings". Click this. On the right side of the pane in the same window, there are some settings. You can put a check under "Leave Messages on Server" and then select the appropriate days to leave them on their or until you delete them.

Also just above that is where you can uncheck "Automatically Download New Message". If I understand correctly, you do not want to download e-mails automatically so unchecking this will require you to download them manually.

Again, i am not sure if this is what you are after, but hopefully this can get you started.
 
Thanks AirPower, those two options are already set. Messages stay on the server, and Thunderbird isn't set to automatically check. The third step is what remains --figuring out the filtering part.
 
Back
Top