Thumbnails?

carnag3

Limp Gawd
Ok, so if I access a picture on an external hard drive, when I view that image from my pc, I have Leopard (osx) and Vista Ultimate x64, is a copy of that image or even a thumbnail, created on my local hard drive, at all, or is all of this data kept in the thumb.dl file (Hiddne within the specific folder)

e.g If i access photo or movie A kept on an external, Is any record of photo/movie A kept on the computer. Even tempirarily? Or is the computer viewing the file completely fromt he external?

Sorry if this is not clear, any feedback is welcome, its amazing the lack of real information on google for this one :(

Edit: To make things clear, I am mainly concerned with vista, just would also like to know what my macbook pro does in thsi respect.

If the root of your question is "is there any reference to the external file?" Then, yes, ther will be some info on your PC - esp. if you've played/opened the file.

If you want to know if the thumbnails are stored on your PC or in the folder, I believe they are stored in the folder, and in the RAM. So, once you've restarted/flushed RAM they'll be gone w/o the drive connected.

Ok, so if I access a picture on an external hard drive, when I view that image from my pc, I have Leopard (osx) and Vista Ultimate x64, is a copy of that image or even a thumbnail, created on my local hard drive, at all, or is all of this data kept in the thumb.dl file (Hiddne within the specific folder)

e.g If i access photo or movie A kept on an external, Is any record of photo/movie A kept on the computer. Even tempirarily? Or is the computer viewing the file completely fromt he external?

Sorry if this is not clear, any feedback is welcome, its amazing the lack of real information on google for this one :(

Edit: To make things clear, I am mainly concerned with vista, just would also like to know what my macbook pro does in thsi respect.

By default, thumbnails are kept at:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer>

You can change the directory they are saved in by modifying the registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThumbnailCache\Location

Which is a string value, if you need to create it. This only applies to Vista, XP keeps thumbnails in each picture's directory.

Back