Throwing in the towel.

arnemetis

2[H]4U
I'll try to keep this short. I've taken my 260s offline until nvidia figures out a proper driver or gpu3 fixes these issues. On 181.22, I can fold flawlessly, however I like to use my computer and now I NEED newer drivers just to run games. Now I get display driver crashes no matter what overclock or underclock I run. The final straw was my 8800gs getting failures. That card has been on the same driver for a year, with only windows and antivirus updates happening on that machine. First two failures ever today.
I have been trying to troubleshoot for about a month now and I have no fight left. Don't bother posting suggestions as I have no interest in working on this anymore. I'll leave the borgs for now, but I won't be producing much anymore. Maybe when I get around to windows 7 and gpu3 is here and nvidia has fully fixed their drivers, I'll try again. Thanks to everyone who's helped me along the way.

We will be here when ya come back.

Win 7 is spiffy, I suggest you do the upgrade.

What OS do you have on there, I've never had that kinda problem
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Ah the cost of high performance clients .... time burned followed by frustration but then pleasantly interrupted by PpD bliss. Repeat cycle. ;)

I get the feeling that alot of my GPU rigs are going to be EUE'ing this summer and I won't be doing anything drastic to keep them online.

Vista 64. I have tons of stuff installed and configured, and I just haven't been motivated to do a windows reinstall with all the apps and configs. Tell me windows 7 doesn't have the 'display driver has stopped responding and has recovered' problem and I'll jump ship next week. If 7 still has it...I don't know if I will anytime soon. Running 197.13 now.

Vista 64. I have tons of stuff installed and configured, and I just haven't been motivated to do a windows reinstall with all the apps and configs. Tell me windows 7 doesn't have the 'display driver has stopped responding and has recovered' problem and I'll jump ship next week. If 7 still has it...I don't know if I will anytime soon. Running 197.13 now.

I don't have that issue on my 275 running 7. I've got 66 finished WU on this boot and 0 fail (did a rebuild with new mobo and RAM). I'm running driver 190.38. All my games run fine too.

/shrug

It's also only on my second gpu. Others have shown this problem with only second of third gpus in one of the threads we had here about the new units. I could probably get away with running just my first 260 problem free but o well.

If that's the case, turn on SLI and just fold on one card, ten whenever you want to game you'll be good to go and only have to disable the one client, SLI will already be good to go

I'll give that a try. Really thought giving this up would be easy but something just keeps pulling me to keep trying. Now I'm thinking of trying smp & just the first gpu to see if that works and keeps the bsod away. This thread wasn't supposed to help bring me back lol.

The thread wasn't, but that's what were here for

depending on your CPU, if you want totally hassle free, just say screw it and use the windows A3 client only, you'll not make the same ppd but that's the most stable option of the big clients

I feel your pain, I've grown very tired of having to restart my 8800GT EUE client 2x+ a day.
Luckily same drivers (195.62), same os (7x64), my 260's rarely ever EUE (though they have a few times lately on newer WUs).

I curse like a sailor about the 8800 being $#!t for folding, I know it gets the PPD but the EUE stuff is really really ticking me off. IMHO there are BAD WUs in the pipe, there's no bones about it. My card fails at nothing else, I've got arguably the best air cooling on the card (HR-03 GT w/Vantec Stealth 92mm), plays games fine. It just doesn't like folding and it's either bad WUs, client issues, or both.

I (like you) have given up on actually folding on that card for more than a few hours at a time before a client restart, but I do admit that I take the abuse and restart the client. :D
sterb292.gif

I'll give that a try. Really thought giving this up would be easy but something just keeps pulling me to keep trying. Now I'm thinking of trying smp & just the first gpu to see if that works and keeps the bsod away. This thread wasn't supposed to help bring me back lol.

i was the same way.. couldnt stand that it wasnt working.. so i just kept trying to fix it.. i finally fixed it and said good.. its fixed now im done folding.. though i still turn my client on when im gone on long trips.. other then that i just dont bother turning the gpu client on anymore.. just sick of babysitting it and doing 10 times more work then i should have to..

Out of curiosity, is the GPU2 client really that unstable? I just now underclocked my GPU on my desktop and was considering running it to fold, but perhaps I should reconsider? Is it any more stable on the ATI video cards?

Out of curiosity, is the GPU2 client really that unstable? I just now underclocked my GPU on my desktop and was considering running it to fold, but perhaps I should reconsider? Is it any more stable on the ATI video cards?

its not the client thats unstable.. its about 75% nvidia's junk ass drivers.. and then 25% of stability problem is that the WU's are not being tested enough before they are released to the masses.. i really havent seen any of the people running ATI cards complain about the gpu client or WU's.. so my guess is the problems are on the nvidia side of it only..

Well, nvidia does have stable drivers. 181.22 ran flawlessly for me, I just can't use such ancient drivers, since I do game with this machine. Would be nice if you could switch drivers on the fly, or specify the driver on a per app basis :eek: Vaulter, the combo of running the two gpus and smp a3 ran me into a nonamed BSOD a few times, so no way am I going back to that. I will try cpu + one gpu client this week however. I think pegging all three of them at once was too much for the system in one way or another. Temps on cpu never passed 65c, gpus never pass 50c. O well, for now I'm sticking to a single gpu client.

My OC'd 285s F@H 24/7. No EUEs, no input needed from me except to clean the case out when I'm bored.

It seems like (from what I've seen, complaint wise) 8800GT and the variants are the ones with the most problems. There's so many variables there, drivers, os, oc or not, cooling/temps etc. it's hard to pinpoint exactly what it is IMHO. I've had several people tell me to downclock, but I don't feel like I should have to downclock and otherwise stable card just to quit the EUE issues.

From what you guys are saying, maybe i'll give the GPU client a try later this week. I downclocked my 5850's in case I was going to try mainly because heat is the issue in the computer room. I'm actually pretty curious how many extra ppd an underclocked 5850 can generate. I have my stuff in Crossfire, so i'm not going to do all the stuff that is required to run multiple GPU's that are crossfired or sli'd.

From what you guys are saying, maybe i'll give the GPU client a try later this week. I downclocked my 5850's in case I was going to try mainly because heat is the issue in the computer room. I'm actually pretty curious how many extra ppd an underclocked 5850 can generate. I have my stuff in Crossfire, so i'm not going to do all the stuff that is required to run multiple GPU's that are crossfired or sli'd.

Any ppd that you can add to the team is welcome.

Just to add to the chaos, I think its more of a combo of things, because Nostromo (sig) has been running a GX2 and an 88GT nonstop for almost a month, it runs headless just fine in my rack, I only check in about once a week to make sure temps arent rising and its time to clean out the dust.

In Glados right now I have a GX2 that is also running just fine. I sold my 295's and sprung for SLI 470's, but until next week when they get here I'm gonna keep running this rig.

My test rig will come online later this week as well with the last 2 GX2s I own. While Im pretty sure I broke one card elsewhere, I fully expect the other card to be just as hassle free as the 5 G92 cores I am running now. All these are getting sold in the name of an SR2 build but I havnt had a reason to dislike them yet.

I'm also running them with 19x.xx series drivers, so there are drivers out there that run just fine with these cards, so we can't say the drivers are the sole reason. Maybe a factor when you mix in other things, but not the sole reason. OC isnt very likely either, because the 3 in Nostromo are all OC'd to 1850 or so, and the one in glados runs stock, same stability all around the house.

i run 2 systems with smp/gpu clients. only problems i have are me always wanting more speed.

Back