• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Throttling on Prescott D0

igxqrrl

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
3
Hello, I have a Prescott D0 ES, CPUID 0xf34, running at 3.6GHz. The processor is installed in a Shuttle SB83G5 case.

I downloaded ThrottleWatch, and while running CPU Burn-in I observe significant TM1 throttling; ThrottleWatch indicates throttling is jumping between 33% and 77% (not sure what these percentages refer to).

Should I expect throttling on PSC when running at full load, or does this indicate insufficient cooling? For reference, under load Tsystem is reported at 72c, Tcpu at 52c.

Thanks for any info,
Sam
 
That's some pretty severe throttling; means it's skipping 1/3 - 2/3 of the cycles giving you the functional equivalent of a 1.2 - 2.4 GHz CPU, roughly. You sure it isn't your CPU that's hitting 72 at load? That would be consistent with that sort of severe throttling. Also, since your CPU is the hottest thing in the case, system temperature should be lower than the CPU.

Whatever the case, the answer is yes, you do have insufficient cooling.
 
Sc4freak said:
Prescott + Small SFF Case = Throttling

72C is way to high.


I had a 3.2e @ 4ghz in my Shuttle sb75g2 and it never got past 55*c on air...and it also never throttled :)
 
Thanks all; I'll try reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink, and worst case drop in my 2.8e to make sure it's not just an ES issue.
 
igxqrrl said:
Thanks all; I'll try reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink, and worst case drop in my 2.8e to make sure it's not just an ES issue.

Any time.
 
Amazing what properly applied thermal paste can do. I had applied it like I used to do for my old P3 system -- spreading a thin coat over the contact point. Apparently on the newer processors you just stick a dab of AS3 on the spreader, and drop the heatsink on.

Now I'm down to 58C under load, and around 52C idle, with no throttling... Much better!

Sam
 
Back
Top